Want to have tarantula pet, anyone can help? Have few questions

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's an old like hell Italian way of saying... "la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca" meaning that you can't have both things: or a drunk wife, or a full (of wine, liquor etc) bottle :kiss:

-- mostly was "used" for refer to sex (a drunk wife is more "easy") or for cheating wife with other Ladies (a drunk wife is more easy to make horned like a genus Ceratogyrus) or a simple matter of fact, with normal issues :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What are you saying my man, ah ah? :)

"experts?" expert is a crappy technology chain shop here in Italy where the employee of the month has an I.Q like a "Dead Rising" zombie :pompous:

Hell if I'm scared about Baboons!!! I wasn't joking at all, now not sure about you, but a wild unruly monkey, pretty stronk btw, destroying my stuff in my house it's a: "no way!" :stop: and this talking about a female, because... Christ, a male specimen will even try to abuse me in a very bad way :shifty:

:kiss:
You have Expert as well in Italy? Apparantly, being dumb and apathetic is mandatory when applying for a job in that store, whether it is in The Netherlands or Italy :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You have Expert as well in Italy? Apparantly, being dumb and apathetic is mandatory when applying for a job in that store, whether it is in The Netherlands or Italy :D
Ah ah :)

Like we love to say in Italy: "non ci facciamo mancare niente" which means: "we work for have everything" therefore crap is always welcomed :-s

riderr

Arachnopeon
I'd go with GBB as well.
Propably should consider L. parahybana as well. It's not colorful but I find them beautiful nonetheless.
Some of them are aggressive as... like the male is used to have. The female I now own is very calm and chilled. Plus compared to GBB they grow huge.

Best

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'd go with GBB as well.
Propably should consider L. parahybana as well. It's not colorful but I find them beautiful nonetheless.
Some of them are aggressive as... like the male is used to have. The female I now own is very calm and chilled. Plus compared to GBB they grow huge.

Best
Re:Lp
Maybe it is a male characteristic, being grumpy/easily agitated. I just sent a mature male this morning. Boy oh boy, he was not amused. Threaposing, striking, kicking hairs...and he's been like this even before he matured. Although it is completely logical for him to react like this. I would be the same if someone took me from my home, stuffed me in a box, while hormones are raging. :D

riderr

Arachnopeon
@Andrea82
Yeah sounds about right :D My male didn't even know he had urticating hairs. He must have "thought" like: "yupp, got fangs. why bother?" :D Bite on sight.

But back to topic:
Lp's clearly are fast growing, get huge, are visible almost all the time, pretty active (for a t) and boy are they affordable. Even adult females are very cheap since they produce so much offspring.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
My vote is going to be A. geniculata. I love my genic. Always out and about and always hungry... The only time I havent seen this T out walking about is times like now where she is in pre-molt and spending more time in her hide laying down her molt mat. Mine has a very laid back attitude and, though I dont recommend it, can be handled on a full stomach.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Everything was going great, people were giving informative, well thought out recommendations to the OP.

Then Chris commented... :rofl:

Depending on what you want as a "webbing" tarantula, you could get a pink toe (avicularia) that will want to climb and live in a tube web at the top of the enclosure. However, they have a reputation for being slightly more fragile then other tarantulas as slings (spiderlings).
You could also choose a Green Bottle blue (GBB). They are fast growing and very beautiful. They make complex mazes of webbing, and are great eaters.

For a burrowing tarantula, their are dozens of choices that are colourful or have great patterns. Acanthoscura geniculata, Lasiodora sp., or any Brachypelma will be perfect choices. Aphonopelmas and Grammostolas are also butiful and docile choices, but grow very slowly and don't move much.

You can see pictures and care information on this website just by looking through the media section and search function. Welcome to the boards! :happy:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Lp salmon bird eater. Could be the best of all tarantulas???? Get huge, reasonably docile, fun to watch eat, easy to care for and look like big curly haired t's. Mine is ornery, but most are pretty easily handled. Big tarantula has big hairs to throw. Mine hasn't bothered me at all, but some people are more sensitive

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Quite frankly, reading your comment the best Theraphosidae that matches what you seek is IMO a Pterinochilus murinus.
Your P. murinus is a heavy eater? o_O (Since you said it fit all the requirements) Mine has only eaten once since I got her, lol, tonight she let her super crawl beneath her with no threat posture or any reaction at all

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Your P. murinus is a heavy eater? o_O (Since you said it fit all the requirements) Mine has only eaten once since I got her, lol, tonight she let her super crawl beneath her with no threat posture or any reaction at all
She's a voracious eater :-s
but also lazy, I have to throw the crickets behind her cork bark, then "Bam" all I see are those legs. But she always comes out for throw the remains near the water dish, tidy Lady :kiss:

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
Tarantula Canada is one of the largest t vendors in Canada. I'll side with the GBB votes.
Yes, but most of their stuff are slings. If you want something around the 3" mark look @ Tangled in webs. She has a female GBB and A. Geniculata for sale.

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
Hi, anyone can help me? I want to have something like:
Fast grower,
Active,
Heavy eater,
But not wild( i mean, im not gonna handle it, i just want to watch it while im studying while im at my study table)
Nice color,
Affordable.

I actually want to have 2 spiders. Like a webber and goes around and digger, something like that? Please help. Thank you. And im located at scarborough, toronto. If you could also suggest a good place to find want im looking for, i would really appreciate. Thanks a lot!
First off!! You don't just jump out of bed one day and say "I'm getting a tarantula"
I hope you have done your research my friend? Some of these T's have difficult requirements such as humidity ect....They are all wonderful to look at, but make sure you can take care of them as well, such as provide them food and water and respect! You don't just throw them in a box and turn it on to autopilot....

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
First off!! You don't just jump out of bed one day and say "I'm getting a tarantula"
I hope you have done your research my friend? Some of these T's have difficult requirements such as humidity ect....They are all wonderful to look at, but make sure you can take care of them as well, such as provide them food and water and respect! You don't just throw them in a box and turn it on to autopilot....
You don't really need 2 months of intensive studies to get one.
Should be:
"Oh I want a tarantula!"
"What species would be good for me?"
"How do I care for this species?"
*gets tarantula*

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Please don't suggest a P. murinus to a brand new owner who lives in Toronto (Scarborough is part of the GTA and the same by-laws apply to them). Toronto, and the entire GTA, has a ban on all venomous animals, where the term animal includes all invertebrates, and the last thing anyone needs is something to happen that tarantulas make the news. Especially on the heals of the P. imperator escape earlier this year that made headlines everywhere.
Normally, targeting arachnid owners are not high on the list for by-law officers, but there have been recent changes to the animals that we are allowed to have at the expos. These changes have never been specified before but have somehow creeped up since the scorpion incident, and we are probably very close to having tarantula breeders prohibited from attending the shows altogether.
To the original poster - there is an expo being held in Mississauga on November 19th that will have one tarantula breeder there - Tangled in Webs. Then, there is another show at Downsview Park on December 11th that will have all three of Canada's big breeders there - Tarantula Canada, Tangled in Webs, and Arachnophiliacs.
Due to the ban that is currently in place in the GTA, you will not find tarantulas sold in any pet shops. You can order from one of the above dealers, you can check Kijiji for people who are selling their personal collection, or you can wait until the shows where you can actually see who you're going to get in person before buying them. Plus, if you wait for the show, you will not have to deal with the risks of shipping them - especially when temperatures are to drop significantly over the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
Please don't suggest a P. murinus to a brand new owner who lives in Toronto (Scarborough is part of the GTA and the same by-laws apply to them). Toronto, and the entire GTA, has a ban on all venomous animals, where the term animal includes all invertebrates, and the last thing anyone needs is something to happen that tarantulas make the news. Especially on the heals of the P. imperator escape last year that made headlines everywhere.
Normally, targeting arachnid owners are not high on the list for by-law officers, but there have been recent changes to the animals that we are allowed to have at the expos. These changes have never been specified before but have somehow creeped up since the scorpion incident, and we are probably very close to having tarantula breeders prohibited from attending the shows altogether.
To the original poster - there is an expo being held in Mississauga on November 19th that will have one tarantula breeder there - Tangled in Webs. Then, there is another show at Downsview Park on December 11th that will have all three of Canada's big breeders there - Tarantula Canada, Tangled in Webs, and Arachnophiliacs.
Due to the ban that is currently in place in the GTA, you will not find tarantulas sold in any pet shops. You can order from one of the above dealers, you can check Kijiji for people who are selling their personal collection, or you can wait until the shows where you can actually see what you're going to get in person before buying them. Plus, if you wait for the show, you will not have to deal with the risks of shipping them - especially when temperatures are to drop significantly over the next couple of weeks.
I have no idea about the meaning of GTA.
Grand Theft Auto?