want to get a desert scorpion... need help

Metallicaman999

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi im looking to get a colony of desert scorpions since im beginning to get interested in these kind and im wondering if you guys can tell me

1) What are the best desert scorpions(excluding colonization habits) that you would recommend to begin with.

2) any different kinds of setups as opposed to tropical scorpions... of course other than the substrate.

3) whats the best desert scorpion to colonize?

thanks a lot

and i forgot to post that it will be GREAT if they don't require a lot of humidity, 0-50% is good

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hi im looking to get a colony of desert scorpions since im beginning to get interested in these kind and im wondering if you guys can tell me

1) What are the best desert scorpions(excluding colonization habits) that you would recommend to begin with.

2) any different kinds of setups as opposed to tropical scorpions... of course other than the substrate.

3) whats the best desert scorpion to colonize?

thanks a lot
c. vitattus lol but then again i have a lot of them runing around here lol
dry sandy,
c. vitattus see first answer

not to mention they are pretty cheap and hard to kill off lol

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Make sure you get the xeric morph of C. vittatus though. They occur in both humid and desert-ish environments. I actually just keep mine on dry cocofiber.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Being in Las Vegas you could go out and catch yourself a desert scorpion. :D

Mike

LF[Media]

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a Hadrurus arizonensis and he has been with me for like 7-8 years, and has survived a lot of stuff for a Scorpion! They seem to be pretty hardy, and I would recommend them. You don't need to keep the cage humid at all, and don't really need a lot of attention. They are very well adapted.

LF[Media]

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, you still need to care for him, but you just don't need to nitpick. Being a desert species, they are more tolerant of the more extreme temperatures, (yes, both hot AND cold) and you don't need to mist it for humidity. It hardly drinks, because it gets most of its moisture from it's food (I guess most Scorpions are like this but it seems to apply even more so to desert scorps) and they seem to conserve energy well and don't really even eat that often.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well some species are real big eaters. Take the deathstalker for example they'll eat themselves into obesity.

LF[Media]

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like that they are low maintenance, but I get great joy from watching my Scorps eat, so if something eats a lot I like it :). My C. Exilicauda will eat every single day if I give him enough crickets! And if he doesn't eat it, he will at least kill it.