Want a small, light for my flinders range scorpion. Any reccomendations?

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
I am living in Sydney, Australia. Are there any small, low light bulbs for my scorpion enclosure? Also, are there any plants or cacti that you would reccomend?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
You could probably use one of the zoomed red bulbs for your scorps if you want heat and better visibility. Red lights won't disturb them, since they can't see it. Other than that, I'm not sure. No scorp really needs lights so long as it's enclosure is 68+ F. Personally, I don't know many plants. I never used any in my enclosures, but what scorp will you be putting them with? Humid vs dry species will need diff plants :)

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
You could probably use one of the zoomed red bulbs for your scorps if you want heat and better visibility. Red lights won't disturb them, since they can't see it. Other than that, I'm not sure. No scorp really needs lights so long as it's enclosure is 68+ F. Personally, I don't know many plants. I never used any in my enclosures, but what scorp will you be putting them with? Humid vs dry species will need diff plants :)
Thanks for the reply. It is a Urodacus Elongatus female, and the habitat is relatively dry, with sphagnum moss and a water dish w/ sponge soaked in water. I actually already have a heat mat for the scorpion, will the light make it too hot? Or should I remove the heat mat and put in a light only?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
If the heat mat is on the bottom of the enclosure, you may want to move it to the side. They can overheat otherwise. So long as the inside of the cage doesn't get past 80 F, then you could probably add a light and it would be fine. Scorps don't really mind going without lights, so either way it doesn't really matter. Light or pad, as long as it's still hot it's the same for them. Also, why the sponge? Insects don't drink from sponges, they are just bacteria breeding grounds. May want to remove that, does nothing for the scorp and just makes a mess later on :D

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
If the heat mat is on the bottom of the enclosure, you may want to move it to the side. They can overheat otherwise. So long as the inside of the cage doesn't get past 80 F, then you could probably add a light and it would be fine. Scorps don't really mind going without lights, so either way it doesn't really matter. Light or pad, as long as it's still hot it's the same for them. Also, why the sponge? Insects don't drink from sponges, they are just bacteria breeding grounds. May want to remove that, does nothing for the scorp and just makes a mess later on :D
Aha thanks for the tips. The heat mat is actually so small and weak that others using the same model of terrarium have actually recommended putting it on the bottom of the glass enclosure. I am changing the water for the scorpion now. Any red bulb brands you would recommend?

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
IMG_8123.JPG This is the terrarium for my Heterometrus. I cover most of the top with tissues and wrap the outside of the glass with paper towels at night so that the light in my bedroom doesn't disturb him too much. It's not as good as I'd like it to be, and I would someday like to make a larger, more naturalistic terrarium with plants and springtails to clean up wastes. I'll probably also move it closer to a vacant power outlet so I can observe him with a red light or plug in a heat pad during winter without tripping anyone.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
DITCH THE SPONGE if you haven't already. Fresh water in a dish/ bowl way to go. And I would recommend wrapping the lid in a Ceran wrap so it covers most ventilation and will hold moisture longer

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
They also have the ceramic no light heat bulbs. Gives off only heat no light what so ever

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
DITCH THE SPONGE if you haven't already. Fresh water in a dish/ bowl way to go. And I would recommend wrapping the lid in a Ceran wrap so it covers most ventilation and will hold moisture longer
Done and done! Thanks for the advice

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
You could just buy a normal red incandecent bulb from any store. Retile bulbs mostly produce heat and light, so your best bet with only light is just a regular red bulb. Not sure exactly which stores, but I'm sure where you buy normal light bulbs you could buy some in red. They really don't care abiut the type of bulb ;)

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Persoanlly.wouldnt recommend ANY light for scorpions. But your best option is the IR bulbs if you are going to use one. Like he said up top. They aren't suppose to see red . I know "exo terra" makes a dual din setup where you can have the infrared for the day and had a blue non UV bulb to replicate the night time. Scorps are active underneath it

alexbwkim

Arachnopeon
Persoanlly.wouldnt recommend ANY light for scorpions. But your best option is the IR bulbs if you are going to use one. Like he said up top. They aren't suppose to see red . I know "exo terra" makes a dual din setup where you can have the infrared for the day and had a blue non UV bulb to replicate the night time. Scorps are active underneath it
Yes, that is what I was thinking of but I cannot find the product you are describing...