Wandering Spiders

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
I am keeping a few species of wandering spiders and am curious how bad a bite from these species would be. Ctenid sp Red Fang, and Africactenus poecilus. I was told both species are from Cameroon Africa.

ZX14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have kept and bred Costa Rican Red-Legged Wanderers and have kept Cameroon Goliath Huntsmen as well. That question arises for all four of the species mentioned. There just is not enough information out there that you can really count on. I have read someplace (or was told) all four of the mentioned species are not lethal.....?? Did you look at any bite reports?? I wish I knew as well :)

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I may be wrong here, but from what I've read, Phoneutria is really the only genus in the Ctenidae family with particularly strong venom. Is it something I'd put to the test? Nah, I'd still treat them the same, as if they may have medically significant venom.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I may be wrong here, but from what I've read, Phoneutria is really the only genus in the Ctenidae family with particularly strong venom. Is it something I'd put to the test? Nah, I'd still treat them the same, as if they may have medically significant venom.
Yep. The red fangs do look the part though. This is my adult female. She puts crickets to sleep fast so I'd definitely not want to get bit. Or have to buy her contact lenses.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
My lass just stands on the floor at night in front of her enclosure like she's a bouncer.
Snerk.

I am keeping a few species of wandering spiders and am curious how bad a bite from these species would be.
As the saying goes, ist relative. Always strikes me as somewhat comical when people getting to talking about venom potency and the chances of getting bitten. Just compare to other hazards. Walking across a busy street staring at your cell phone or entering the strike zone of a rattler. There may be varying degrees of ouch but the wham isn't if but when and all are potentially lethal.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
From what I've heard (all hearsay, no studies to back it up) both the red fang and A. poecilus have rather unpleasant bites, though not lethal. Best to play it safe with those species.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Journal Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo in 2008. 10 deaths total, verified, from Phoneutria bites to that date.

Only 2.3% of bites attributed to Phoneutria required antivenin treatment. This was, I believe, reiterated by Vetter, UCR

Last edited:

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
Thank you for all your information. Yeah I already checked bite reports, nothing there. I'm thinking this is a good sign. Mine don't seem aggressive toward me at all, never Seen a threat display by any of them yet. Only seen aggression from them toward their meals.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
My red fang has laid a sac, was volatile before so I'm not looking forward to pulling it but I'm gonna have to...

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My red fang has laid a sac, was volatile before so I'm not looking forward to pulling it but I'm gonna have to...
Why you have to?

Let her guard the sac and let it hatch. She'll lose interest fast after that and will be hungry, offer her a snack, wai till she's busy eating and catch her out.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
Why you have to?

Let her guard the sac and let it hatch. She'll lose interest fast after that and will be hungry, offer her a snack, wai till she's busy eating and catch her out.
I hear you but what if any escape onto the sub? I'll never find them? Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.. :)