Walking stick ID?

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sure some one does, but they haven't been available lately, just be patient.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi!
That looks like a female Diapheromera femorata. Beautiful brown color! They're usually green. She may be moulting soon. Here's a caresheet for them.
Nice find! I've only seen one in the wild and I've lived in Ca my entire life.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the ID!

The walking sticks were all over on the roads and plants of Borrego springs. It was quite a sight...

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow what plants were they on. I am in CA, wonder if I can find any of these. On the other hand, if you can still get em I'd love to get my hands on them.

Last edited:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The first one I found was on a small oak tree. Most of the rest were on general shrubs and bushes...

On another note, I believe she is laying eggs(ova?)... :rolleyes:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well if you ever end up with too many I know someone who will take them off your hands. ;)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
That is not Diapheromera. There's a good book on native phasmids by Chad Arment you can get from Amazon.com that has details on over 40 US phasmids.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would really like to find one of the Timema species. I've been looking when I go hiking but I think they're kind of rare in my area.
I wonder what kind of stick you found if it's not a Diapheromera. I guess there are quite a few species of sticks here in California.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well if you ever end up with too many I know someone who will take them off your hands. ;)
Careful what you say, unless that someone is in California ;)

By the way, What, that's a really cool specimen you've found. :D