Voluntary molting

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
When T's molt, is it a voluntary response to a set of conditions or is it involuntary. If a T doesn't feel safe or the conditions aren't right(moisture, temperature, etc) will they or can they put off molting? The reason I'm curious is everything I own, save my grammostola Pulchra have molted. My P. Irminia, 2 of my versicolor and 1 of my Dolichothele Diamantinesis has molted twice in the last month. The Pulchra is about 1.5 inches. It's a nervous wreck. Anytime I have to interact with it it's kicking hairs and throwing threat pulses. It will do these things up until the second I throw the food in. I have tried everything to help it feel safer but nothing seems to help.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Maybe she's going through the skittish stage ? I have seen a few ppl that keep them say they can be skittish when smaller . Fingers crossed for you that she comes out of it soon.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Molting is like diarrhea. You can prolong it as long as you want, but eventually it’s coming out one way or another, wether you like it or not. That’s molting for tarantulas

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When T's molt, is it a voluntary response to a set of conditions or is it involuntary. If a T doesn't feel safe or the conditions aren't right(moisture, temperature, etc) will they or can they put off molting? The reason I'm curious is everything I own, save my grammostola Pulchra have molted. My P. Irminia, 2 of my versicolor and 1 of my Dolichothele Diamantinesis has molted twice in the last month. The Pulchra is about 1.5 inches. It's a nervous wreck. Anytime I have to interact with it it's kicking hairs and throwing threat pulses. It will do these things up until the second I throw the food in. I have tried everything to help it feel safer but nothing seems to help.
All those species have a faster growth rate.
Comparing them is apples and oranges here. I’ve owned all of the ones you listed.

It’s involuntary. However many owners speculate environmental cues in captivity seem to happen around molting at times, specifically rain. Is that coincidence maybe, esp because said observations involve a myriad of species- and maybe not. I’ve observed it.

Some Ts go upside, but then change their minds and do not molt for another week or so. Is that truly voluntary, who knows.

LaughingLunatic

Arachnopeon
I have tried everything to help it feel safer but nothing seems to help.
Does your pulchra have a hide ? When mine went into pre-molt after eating like a PIG, she bunkered down DEEP under her cork bark hide, even excavating somewhat to deepen it, and I didn't see her for about 3 weeks, when she emerged to dump her molt in the corner of the enclosure and sit out again looking for food. Mine is about 1 1/4", first time molting with me in 2 months. She loves her hide and always scampers into it if she's disturbed.

sasker

Arachnoprince
My G. pulchra did not molt for more than a year at 1.5 inch. They are slow growers, so no surprise it doesn't keep up with the growth cycles of other species.

This week my G. geniculata molted upright. She attempted to get on her back three times, but she poked her legs through her molting mat so she did not get in the right position. Eventually she molted upright. Apparently she did not have the strength to get on her back again on time. First time I saw this with one of my own tarantulas.

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
Does your pulchra have a hide
She's got a very nice hide and lots of terrain but she never leaves her burrow. I'd like to rehouse her but hate disturbing her that much. She's in a zilla small terrestial. It's trash. I generally throw food down the back which she kills then resumes the I'm going to kill you stance. 20210418_191921[1].jpg 20210418_191823[1].jpg .

sasker

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't worry about your tarantula. It looks very fat and healthy, so it will not starve to death or anything. Feeding this species often can lead to extended periods of fasting and I you don't need to bother feeding it until it molts. It may take a while, though.

As for the threat postures, just enjoy how this particular spider has its own personality. Nothing to worry about.