Volcano Enclosure Avicularia Versicolor

xanathefox

Arachnopeon
Hello fellow arachnofriends :)

So as an artist and T lover, I am preparing a new project for an incoming Avicularia Versicolor.
I had this idea about making themed terrariums for my T's and I dunno, I'm just here to share the concept I guess...
For this one I'd like to make a volcano themed terrarium. I was thinking about sculpting that blue foam (?) in a volcano shape, then cover it in silicone and cover it with coconut fiber for a more natural environment for her. Although I would like to paint some lava on the top of the volcano, I'm wondering if the paint isn't harmful for the animal... Is there any kind of paint that is ok to for them? Here is a sketch of my volcano concept, please consider that there is no scale :')
Share your opinions with me please!
Much love, Xana

18762993_10214098046671653_81414800_n.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is there any kind of paint that is ok to for them? Here is a sketch of my volcano concept, please consider that there is no scale :')
I'm not sure what, if any, paints might be tarantula-safe. You might try different substrates (colors) to simulate dried lava.

I would add some more leaves or other anchor points for webbing.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
You can use food colorings as a stain. Works quite well as 'paint' on porous surfaces.
Speaking from experience of accidentally dying a GFs dog's head blue, once dried the stuff is darned near permanent and water resistant.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have fun, there's no guarantee your T will use the volcano as a hide, particularly because Avics are arboreal, and volcanoes are on the ground ;)

However they are opportunistic, so maybe! You should setup an arboreal and NOT a terrestrial design as your sketch shows.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
I love the idea of a seemingly giant C versicolor on the side of a volcano. I wouldn't know about paints, anyone know about food coloring? I can't imagine it would be great to shovel into a Ts mouth, but maybe the components would be less harmful? Just a thought, absolute speculation though o_O

TarantulaCollective

the_tarantula_collective
I love this idea and may adapt it for an upcoming enclosure myself if thats okay with you. I may use it for a pokie or a species that enjoys hiding out in a hollow log more than an Avic. I usually create my own background using foam and have used the black silicone and cocofiber method with great success...and I have also done a little painting on a few of them. I have had a lot of success with Crayola Premier Tempera Paint. It is a non-toxic paint with higher opacity, better adhesion for one-coat coverage, is freeze-thaw stable, non-separating and does not chip/flake/powder/bleed through upon drying. It is stuff they use in elementary schools that you can pick up at a craft store. Just make sure it is the non-toxic type and allow PLENTY of time for the paint to dry and the fumes to dissipate before trying to keep a T in the enclosure (I am talking about possibly weeks...until you cant smell that fresh paint smell anymore).