Vocabulary question

Odorachnid13

Arachnopeon
Not to sound like an idiot, but does anyone know what the word phoretic means? It is in my bio book in regards to scorps, and I haven't been able to find it in any dictionary...Thanks:?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Here's what a google search yielded. Maybe they are referring to how the babies ride on the mothers back?

http://www.wlu.ca/~wwwbiol/bio305/Database/phoretic.htm

EDIT: "Phoresy is usually defined as a method of dispersal, whereby an organisms "hitches" a ride by clinging to the body of another, usually much bigger organism, and dropping off when a new suitable habitat is reached. However, more generally, phoresy involves a relationship in which one organism is transported by the other, either permanently, or at least for some essential stage in the life cycle"

After reading this in more detail I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the behavior of the babies spending some time on the mothers back.

John
];')

Last edited:

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you think about the word phos'phoreted' it should bring to mind 'containing' 'having' phosphor, so the ability to contain would be my best guess.

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've only see the word used to refer to non-parisidic mites that travel with scorpions and other inverts.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
John is right, in that it is when organisms use others for transport. Somewhere I have a picture of a 3nd instar C.exilicauda clinging to the back of a male. He apparently just wandered up there and stayed for a while before wandering off.

Cheers,
Dave

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here is what I found by Brian Charles Clark.
The Greek verb phorein means "to bear," and is found in the English words metaphor, phosphoresence. I've coined several words inspired by phorein, including the adjectival phoretic and the adverbial phoresis. But the word philosphoresence, which I take to mean "to bear love," is perhaps the word to best describe my motivation both here, in this essay, and as a human. Your comments and criticisms are most welcome; you can e-mail me at bcclark@moscow.com. (Rough draft posted April 17, 2001.)

Odorachnid13

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for the information :) In context, I'm pretty sure it refers to their (scorpions in general) difficulty in adapting to new environments by "hitching" a ride, not that it doesn't ever happen. :)

Last edited: