Vivs built for our t's

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
A while back when I got an af chalcodes I bought her a tarantula rooms enclosure a 25x25x25 cube with gauge till I could something bigger I liked, but after keeping her in there for a few months I decided I actually liked this enclosure so bought one exactly the same for my sam smithi, he didn't settle well and spent most of his time on the roof testing the ventilation for weakness which is not a huge problem but he found the back of the temperature gauge where the batterys are that is built into the roof (the viv comes with this) and proceeded to chew on it, he managed to get his teeth between the seams of the plastic and bend it bk only a little but enough for me to change his viv that day. I noticed him tugging at it and moved him off it only to see the damage on the battery casing. My question is has anyone else had this problem with this make of viv ? Or was I just unlucky and got a viv with a defect that allowed him to wedge his teeth in the seems.
I have 2 of these vivs bought months apart and they have the exact same construction so I doubt I am the only person who has spotted this flaw , and if I am I felt I should say to other keepers because if that cube had had a more powerful tarantula in that could have ended very differently.

I am not bashing this company and have emailed them to tell them about it before i made this post and as I said I had a t lived in one of those cubes with no problems for months but there is potential for an accident and a tarantula to be hurt and I felt others should be aware. I keep isopods and locust in them now with no problems.

If this post isn't allowed mods please remove it.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Batteries for??
The viv has a thermometer/hydrometer built into the lid it has a panel on the back for a battery , I assumed seen as the viv was built by tarantula rooms it would be t safe but obviously by my post it isn't or mine wasn't. Trying to find out if others that use these vivs have had the same problem or if others were aware of this fault in the viv's design.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Pics and a brief description about how you keep them helps.

Hamoriis/Smithis are well known for climbing if they are not setted correctly. Excessively dry or exessively moist conditions triggers those behaviours, if the T finds something odd, or with different properties will try to test it to check if it's a scaping point, eg chewing ventilations, foam backgrounds (top side) etc.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Pics and a brief description about how you keep them helps.

Hamoriis/Smithis are well known for climbing if they are not setted correctly. Excessively dry or exessively moist conditions triggers those behaviours, if the T finds something odd, or with different properties will try to test it to check if it's a scaping point, eg chewing ventilations, foam backgrounds (top side) etc.
He has stopped climbing since he was rehoused as I have said I just wondered if others with this viv have had the same problems with the thermometer/hydrometer that is built into the lid or if it was just my bad luck.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
There are hundreds of enclosures, that's why asked a picture. I believe that I know what model you are talking about, but anyway a picture would help.

As stated above, if the T feels disconforted, it will look outside for better conditions, checking all the possible scaping points, and if anything feels different, it's something to be checked for them.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Can you post a picture? Whether it's a defect or just design flaw, it sounds less than ideal for the T

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
20220627_070727.jpg 20220627_070820.jpg
Pics as previously stated I keep locust in one n isopods in the other but the casing on the back as you can see it's not very safe has a battery compartment and the hole at the side that was a half circle cut out shape is where he got his tooth caught it has a bit missing now where his tooth pulled it it's only a small knick but it worried me enough to move him that day and the chalcodes even though I hadn't had any problems with her. Rather be safe n not risk me t's. You would think a viv made specifically for t's would be t safe lol I know better now, lesson learned.

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
Is there a tarantula in the enclosure you showed us!? Because that’s a death trap

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Never purchased any of their enclosures as they were never suitable (no cross ventilation in their arboreal enclosures) and I could get better made glass enclosures for the same price or even cheaper, the fact that over half of their square enclosure range comes with one of those £2 digi stats built in to them now kinda backs up that they don't really know what they're doing.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
The one I suspected.

Do you feel yourself capable to drill few holes right above the substrate? It will help you stopping that behaviour.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
T is no longer in there he is in an acrylic now settled no longer climbing the walls Screenshot_20220627-120924_Gallery.jpg him in his new viv just after I had changed him out of the cube. I wouldn't put any t in there now knowing how dangerous they are.
I just wondered if everyone knew about this flaw and if not i thought ppl should know .

I will not be using the vivs again apart from t food n isopods and I won't be getting any more.