Vivarium Question

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got a free 20gal high and nice oak stand an must make it into a vivarium which I've been dying to do since day one in this hobby.

I was wondering what plants I can find locally in shops that would be safe to place in my tank. Something that if the food items ate some it would hurt my tarantula. I also want to place my H. lividum or an A. versicolor in there. If I go A. versicolor can I purchase two to go communal in this size of a tank or just a bad idea. OR maybe a different colorful species I might run into at the reptile so give me some ideas.

Any ideas would be great, also the substrate that would be needed. I have a sun glow full spectrum plant light(fish tank hood light) for it so that's not an issue. Plus I want them to be able to withstand 70-90% humidity as it may fluctuate.

Thanks,
Kevin

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nobody?

Also, could I put a few avic avics in this sized tank? Or maybe an avic avic and a versi?

I'd really like a communal.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No idea on the plants, but the A. Avics would be just fine for a communal set up. Of course though, your best bet is to go with sackmates. If that is not an option then make sure that they're all of equal size and provide a lot of branches and such in addition to the plants. Post some pictures when you get it all set up!

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now, can I mix species? Pinktoes are dirt cheap but a 4-5" versi is not cheap at all. So would it be best to go with all slings? Or just get a few pinktoes then add a versi later? Also, how many adults could fit into this tank and be comfortable?I will add plenty of foliage and places to hid on/in.

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would not mix species or even communally keep them together, bound to be a problem. I think Pothos and Mother-in-law tongues are fine. Just check if they release toxins before you get em.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wouldn't mix the species either. That's definately a recipe for disaster. Go with the A. Avics and get them as slings, sackmates if at all possible.... It's still a risk, as it always is with any communal setup.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, are avics heavy webbers like versi's are? If its a good chance they will make a pretty vivarium look like a post apocalyptic waste land invaded by giant spiders then what else should I go with? Even if it's just one giant spider its cool with me. Don't get me wrong, I thin pink toes are fine just not very attractive when placed by there versi color friends.

I'd like something that is handleable too if at all possible so any ideas would be great.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your best bet is to go with any type of Avicularia if you are wanting a gentle species that can be handled. If you would like a big pretty tarantula, try looking for a Poecilotheria ornata or rufilata. These guys can get 8-9"! Not to mention that they are very pretty, in my opinion - the prettiest of all the pokies! But, they are a bit more expensive than Avics are...

Pothos is probably your best bet as far as a good and safe plant to use. I know it is commonly used with all sorts of animals in vivarium set-ups and I've never seen a problem with it.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, my advice would be to put some fish in it... If you don't wanna do THAT then a great big adult poecilotheria like drJ said would be a nice one. They don't web all over the place like Avics do.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pothos and creeping Figs (ficus) are the best for vivs, they do well despite reduced light levels. just know that live plants with an Avicularia aren't a good idea as the Avic will inevitably web up the whole cage incorporating the plants into the tubewebs.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
aaaaaaaaaaaaaand if you want the other extreme, there's the P. Murinus. They'll make your vivarium look like a cotton gin. A broken one.

In all seriousness though, if you want a good display T that you can handle, it almost has to be an avicularia.... If you want a single large T, and aren't as concerned about handling, then as mentioned, Pokies are great. There was a post on here not too terribly long ago about a guy that put together a communal A. Avic or Veriscolor set up. I'll see if I can find it and post the link in an edit.

EDIT--- http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=111204&highlight=Communal,+museum

GOT IT! Oh hey ^^^^ there you are...

Last edited:

kingfarvito

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
air plants....broms Riccia java moss pothos ferns

BLACKJUNGLE.COM you can get broms at home depot

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Currently have a handful of Golden Pothos(Epipremnum Aureum "Scindapsus")
Also, Dwarf Palm Neanthe Bella(Chameadorea Elegans)

I was surprised on how little I could put in this tank. I will buy some more stuff at the reptile show.

Still looks pretty crappy, well, at least I think so. I'd love to add flowers to this or maybe some Venus fly traps. Is it possible to add to much live plants? I mean I'm not going to make it where you can't see the ground. Also, if they web and I need to trim up the plants with that be a big issue?

Can I place isopods in this setup? I have a HUGE colony of them and would like to keep this tank pretty clean. Will they eat the plants?

I will be feeding crickets and dubia roaches only in this tank. Do I run a risk of them eating the plants?

I'd like the tarantula to be fairly docile in this tank so that I can handle it if I wish. It needs to be colorful too and relatively cheap. But hell I handle my female cobalt :)

I will think up lots more questions really soon.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poecilotheria regalis is the T I think I'm going to place in here. Anyone have a small female that you would like to send my way I'll pay of coarse, hit me up.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a nice setup. I don't think the T will appreciate the work you did.
If I had that tank and wanted to make a vivarium, I'd go with dartfrogs or something that can be kept communally.

My regalis webs 10X more than my Avic Versi. I hope yours leaves the plants alone.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:)
Thanks, I would so much rather have an avic anyways. I think I might just shrug it off and go with my favorite T the versi. I don't see hwo they will web the entire tank but only where they live. I'd rather a little of the tank be a web than webbing everywhere.

I just planted a Maidenhair(Adiatum pedatum) fern in there. Its the ones that come in a box ready to grow so that will be something I look forward to watching happen in my room.

bluegootty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
get add some cork bark and glue some moss on the bark and your tank will look supa stunning...;)

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you!
I'd love to do something like that but I don't know if it will make it harder for the spiders to find the prey considering all the hiding places provided by the foliage.
I'm going to be taking moss from outside and place it in the tank so it can cover the ground over time. Not sure how to rid the moss of any harmful bacteria, bugs, or micro-organisms without killing the plant.I was goingto collect it now while its still very snowy and have a few inches of snow right now. If its to risky by peoples responses I will buy tropical moss online.

Last edited:

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's finished!!

Looks amazing now I think, so stunning in person. Still have to wait for the fern to grown in the top left corner.