Vivarium build log

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Building off the background build on this thread:
Cork mosaic background build

I've added in a drainage layer (LECA), substrate barrier (window screen) and a substrate layer (peat moss, coco fiber, coco husk, fir bark, lump charcoal).
20200514_185016.jpg

I've put my tentative plan for "semi hardscape" (shells, pods, etc.) For this build, for now, I'm using Bell cups, coco huts, palm bark.
20200514_190133.jpg
20200514_190139.jpg

Next up: plants

My planned plant list so far is (I'm trying to limit the number of plant species I use):
Ground cover:
Begonia glabra
Fittonia veerschaffeltii "pink"
Pilea "Moon Valley"
Jade pothos

Vining plants (for the background):
Marcgravia rectiflora
Pellionia repens

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Nice setup!!! What's going to be inside dart frogs?

Can I suggest you a drainage tube?

I had the clay balls drainage system in my old setup, and I had one big problem. While the bottom part (clay balls) was full of water the substate dried too quickly. So I installed a plastic tube beneath the clay balls up to the top of the substrate to suck the excess of water.

I used a pvc pipe for that. I made two cuts on each side of the pvc pipe (to suck the water) and glued with silicone to the glass. I put it in one corner to be more aesthetic.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I wish I had cork barks here they are uber expensive... 30€ a piece

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Nice setup!!! What's going to be inside dart frogs?

Can I suggest you a drainage tube?

I had the clay balls drainage system in my old setup, and I had one big problem. While the bottom part (clay balls) was full of water the substate dried too quickly. So I installed a plastic tube beneath the clay balls up to the top of the substrate to suck the excess of water.

I used a pvc pipe for that. I made two cuts on each side of the pvc pipe (to suck the water) and glued with silicone to the glass. I put it in one corner to be more aesthetic.
Thanks. Yes this will be for dart frogs :)

I actually get a nice evaporation effect so all the substrate stays moist but not wet. There are tanks below this on my rack and the heat from the lower lights causes warm air to come up, warming the water in the drainage layer causing it to rise.
I have a similar setup in my other tanks and it works wonderfully to keep humidity going on.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
In my case was a nightmare without the suction tube, because I hadn't any evaporation effect, and to get the things worse the pulchra ripped the mesh and started taking all the clay balls out 😂😂😂😂

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
In my case was a nightmare without the suction tube, because I hadn't any evaporation effect, and to get the things worse the pulchra ripped the mesh and started taking all the clay balls out 😂😂😂😂
That sounds terrible!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
You are missing one of the best plants, the Chamaedorea elegans!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200515173506203_COVER.jpg

Very easy to maintain and gives a little more verticallity to the enclosure.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
They look great but will get too tall for this build, unfortunately. I don't have any "typical" ferns in my plant collection, actually
Your enclosure is tall enought for a small chamaedorea, in my vivs they only grow to the ceiling, and in some cases they spread the biggest foilage on top. It's like they stop growing when they reach the light source. They are very easy to trim too.

If you want a small fern, check Hawaii Crespo, it's a stunning plant for a vivarium.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Added a few plants
20200516_151548.jpg 20200516_151513.jpg

Going to let these grow in and see how I like it in a few weeks