Visited a small local zoo today! Pics inside.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Hello. I took the family out for a trip to a local zoo. While I was there I snapped some pics of some things that may be of interest. Here are some shots of Florals & Wildlife. They didn't have much but it was still fun. I wish that they had inverts & reptiles to check out but they didn't. It seems that my "collection" in the garage is almost as large as their zoo...lmao. J/k though ..it was nice however.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is that a bob cat? If so it needs a bigger cage. and the gater/turtle tank looks dirty(too much algie). all and all nice pics.

thedreadedone

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
Is that a bob cat? If so it needs a bigger cage. and the gater/turtle tank looks dirty(too much algie). all and all nice pics.
as a zoo keeper, i totally agree, although the other enclosurse seem ok
the maned wolves look good
which zoo is it?

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, I did not like the 2 X 4 or whateve rthey were. But I like the other things. and from the pic, You might not be able to tell. The cage could be bigger than you think.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Zoo

It is a Zoo called Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport, CT (U.S.A.)
Its very small but still fun.

The cages are cropped due to web hosting requirments.

The "bobcat" was a Canadian Lynx. It is a big rectangular cage.

I also thought the green water was abnorm....but think of Florida's swampy waters. They are green too.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice pictures, first of all.

But did anyone else get a little sad about the picture of the eagle? For some reason, that picture made me get a little ache in my heart... such a strong, majestic creature sitting behind bars instead of flying free. I love the zoo but it is so sad when they don't give enough room for critters to roam as they might have in the wild. :(

-Kelly

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:

I also thought the green water was abnorm....but think of Florida's swampy waters. They are green too.
Did the bobcat look nervise? because they are extreamely shy(in the wild anyway), we have them in newfoundland and i have never seen one in person.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:

Yeal but the water probely looks green because of all the plants. I dont see any plants in the pic.

DarkRAM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
Yeal but the water probely looks green because of all the plants. I dont see any plants in the pic.
Looks like algae to me... And alot of it... :)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's nothing harmful about algae, it might not be pretty but it doesn't harm the animals. It appears to be an outdoor exhibit, so algae growth is to be expected and is unavoidable. I much prefer the natural appearance of that exhibit to some sterile box any day.

Kellygirl-

That eagle is almost certainly an injured, unreleasble bird that couldn't survive in the wild. The vast majority of native birds of prey in zoos are "rescue" animals. Often, they've been hit by cars, flew into windows, or were shot. Many are incapable of flight, or are partially blind.

Wade

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Wade--I didn't know that! You just changed my sadness to warm fuzzies! :D

-Kelly

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I cant help but feel a little sad when I see animals in zoos, and then I stop to wonder where they came from. When I went up to Calgary, I saw 6 big horned ram, wild, in a herd on the highway, in the early dawn. It was wonderful! At the Calgary zoo, I saw one, and said to him "What did you do to get in here". :D Of course, just like Wade said, maybe he was injured at some point and unreleaseable, or maybe, he is from a long line of now domesticated big horned rams, that had originally been wild caught. The most heart breaking was the tigers, but then they told us that there are actually more tigers in captivity than in the wild. And all the tigers in the zoo were there due to breeding programs. Conservation in action! So there is a good and a sad side to zoos, I think. :)

DarkRAM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
kellygirl said:
Thanks Wade--I didn't know that! You just changed my sadness to warm fuzzies! :D

-Kelly
Yeah, normally when you see those big raptors in zoos either like wade said they are injured (missing eye, missing leg, mangled wing...) to the point where they couldnt survior on its own. Or someone raised it from a baby and now it doesnt have the knowledge to survive by itself properly in the wild after reaching adulthood.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken it was illegel for them to keep the Bald Eagle unless the above conditions are met (not sure if this has changed since yr. 2000 now).

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am a zookeeper but not a birdkeeper, so this could be off, but I am under the impression that zoos cannot keep any native raptors unless they are rehabbed and unreleaseable birds. I have worked at zoos where visitors have asked "why do all your owls/hawks/eagles have something wrong with them??" and the answer is always "cause some idiot hurt them". Not that I actually said that, there's generally a much more PC way of putting it. ;P

TheImperator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im loving the American Bald Eagle pic. I am interested in the Gator and Turtle exhibit though...do turtles really get along with Gators in the wild?

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am a zookeeper but not a birdkeeper, so this could be off, but I am under the impression that zoos cannot keep any native raptors unless they are rehabbed and unreleaseable birds.
There are many reasons why large birds can end up in zoos. For example, the California Condor was perceived to be on the brink of extinction in the wild, so all remaining wild condors were caught and placed in zoos. Those animals were then used as the breeding stock to produce new birds for release/reintroduction programs. All free-flying California condors today are derived from those wild birds that were trapped and placed in zoos. Prior to trapping them, the population was limited to one region of California. Today they are established in California and Arizona, and fly into Nevada and Utah.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did the bobcat look nervise? because they are extreamely shy(in the wild anyway), we have them in newfoundland and i have never seen one in person.
You should meet our Arizona bobcats (although we usually call them wildcats). Not always as shy as you might like. They've become semi-urbanized and are often seen in people's back yards in town. I live out in the desert, and about a year ago I stepped out of the shower and walked into my bedroom and discovered a wildcat taking a nap in the doorway to the back porch. The sliding glass door was closed, but the cat was leaning against it. I got down on all fours and took a good look at him from close up. He turned his head and looked at me, then went back to sleep. Not very shy. But then, we've noticed that a lot of the animals out here are less shy than you would expect.