Visit from a Scutigera...

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
So, my wife and I were watching TV this weekend... and I glance over and see a GIANT Scutigera just tooling along, out in the open. He makes his way to my beanbag, and then stops. I ran out to the garage, got a baby food jar, and came back in to catch him... he went into the baby food jar very willingly, and no sooner did my wife ask, "what are you doing?" then I picked up the jar with the biggest House Centipede I've ever seen!

Seriously, he was like 1.5" body length... I would have kept him, but we have a deal... inside bugs go OUTSIDE... so, I have to get rid of anything that gets in the house.... ;)

No matter, my Scutigera is eating furiously, so he'll be that size in NO time... :)

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Scutigera

Hey Mister Internet, 1.5" is huge for Scutigera coleoptrata!! To bad you cant keep him though :( Personally I think Scutigera are among the coolest species of centipede, especially the giant cave-dwelling old world species at over 2" in body length!!

Alex S.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, it was definitely huge.... like I said, biggest one I've ever seen for sure! Kind of makes me want to order the african cave pede from Glades just to see their big brothers in action...

I've got to say, that my little juvie House Centipede eats like a pig! He hits pinnies almost on the way down before they hit the substrate! Going to have to start feeding him bigger stuff soon... ;)

It's not really a bummer... my wife just hates having bugs out in the open in the house, so one of the conditions of me being able to keep bugs in the house is to keep them SECURE, and anything I find inside has to go outside (or killed, but we don't like to talk about that here, do we?) ... I suppose I could have, but I'm tryin to concentrate all my energy on my baby S. heros castineiceps r
right now...

Last edited: