Visible Fossorials

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
Are there any particular fossorial species that are out and about more than others...or are they ALL pretty much "pet holes"?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
my m balfouri was out alot each night adding to its huge web mat . but it wasnt a t i could just walk up and stare at i had to sneak up on it since any disturbance sent it running or into a threat display but all ts are different though. also you can kinda manipulate a fossorial t into digging along the sides so you can see em.until they decide to tunnel into the middle of the cage :rofl: then your back to staring at a box of dirt

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It depends, but in the wild you could say all species are actually quite reclusive. But in captivity I guess it would depend on the set-up, species, and the specimen you have.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I gave you a funny rating because I mainly keep old world fossorial tarantulas and I rarely see more than legs out of burrows.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
my marhsalli was also visible a lot, but that may be because I didn't give her enough room to dig. My darlingi dug deep, but still came out a lot

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
This question is kind of an oxymoron. You'll see more of your T's out at night, whatever they are though

Shinn

Arachnosquire
It's really going to be up to your luck with your individual spiders.

My Ornithoctoninae sp. "Uthai Thani" surfaces quite a lot dusk to dawn. Pretty much need a red light to view it most of the time but if you slowly increase the ambient light you'll have a good chance of observing them under normal light.

My three H. pulchripes also stops burrowing and stays out in the open most of the time around the 2.5 inch mark.

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
My h himalayana is pretty active at night, it likes to web and expand it's burrow and by day time it goes back to hiding.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
It is mostly due to the housing conditions. If there is enough space below, you will not see the animals regularly (in dayime!) Fossorial means that the animal feels comfortable underground, rather in the dark. The new trend of simply giving the animal no opportunity to bury itself and then being happy when it weaves on the surface only makes me shake my head...

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
My E. murinus was out a lot, every single night actually. Mostly standing on top of his burrow.. or always adding to it's shape, or waiting for food. It had 8" of substrate to dig in, and dug to the bottom of the enclosure.

It was a mature male so I gave him to a breeder, but it is one of my favorite species. Miss him 😭

ForTW

Arachnobaron
When hungry they lurk at the entrance. If you do it right, you can see them.
Most of them are more visible than for ex. a Grammostola sp. burrowing itself for months.

DuneElliot

Arachnosquire
Lots of great replies...thank you. I don't have a fossorial but have been tempted as some of them are lovely...but with only owning a couple of Ts I don't really want a pet hole.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I don't really want a pet hole.
Pet holes are fun. I didn't think I'd like them as much as I do. It's fun to watch them dig around and rearrange their cage and make tunnels. If you get an N. incei, they web a ton, are dwarfs, and fossorials. You see them out often on their webbing, and sometimes they hide. I have an N. incei Gold and they are great (and new world without urticating hairs)

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
That's a cool looking T. Is the enclosure for it like normal fossorials with lots of substrate or leaning a little more towards terrestrial set-up
Very deep substrate, and moist. 8" or 8"+ with some space to crawl around above the surface. They make large burrows, and trumpet shaped entrances that protrude above the ground.

PXL_20220513_013159485.jpg
PXL_20220513_013140589.jpg

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Harpactira pulchripes - one fossorial that acts pretty much terrestrially.
obt
Ornithoctoniae sp. "Bakan" - out pretty often but bolts into burrow when disturbed.
Haploclastus devamatha - mine sticks her feet out whenever she's hungry, although I have heard of some specimens being extremely reclusive.
Chilobrachys spp.