Visible Burrow

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.
any common name would be "correct" because they are just common names! =;-)

...I prefer the scientific names. So anybody worldwide(!!) knows what I am talking about! =:)

Cheers,
Martin
Yeah, we all know how cut and dry Haplopelma sci. names are. Need I mention longipedum/paganus/minax/etc? ;)

Bill

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Yeah, we all know how cut and dry Haplopelma sci. names are. Need I mention longipedum/paganus/minax/etc? ;)
"Haplopelma longipedum" is not a scientific name. Cyriopagopus paganus and Haplopelma minax are scientific names but are just used by the PET TRADE like common names – they just take any name to lable their stuff without a correct ID to give it a name. Anyway, if you talk about a pet trade "Cyriopagopus paganus" I know what you are talking about. And I you would try to ID your pet trade "Cyriopagopus paganus" you probably wouldn't lable it "C. paganus" anymore but Haplopelma sp. – and than again we have a scientific name and not a pet trade name. =;-)
But would you know what I mean when I talk about a "Schwarz Rote Vogelspinne" a "Brasilien-Riesenvogelspinne" a "Haiti-Vogelspinne" a "Tiger-Vogelspinne" a "Ornament-Baumvogelspinne" ... these are all commone names out of a book. Would you like that I use commone names for aranas pollitos (= sklipkan, caranguejeiras, shabath, mygales,...) in the future too? =;-)

all the best,
Martin

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Aren't you overreacting a little? I mean, I agree that pet stores can make some pretty half-assed attempts (or no attempt at all) to give their Ts a reasonably decipherable common name, but outside the pet trade, if you say "Greenbottle Blue" I think most people will know what you're talking about. And as far as people around the world understanding what you're talking about, I'll give you that, too. However, the point is, there are a lot of acceptable common names out there.

N.

PS- and I, too, found a great deal of info on schmidti being referred to as the "Chinese Golden Earthtiger" :D

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem

Aren't you overreacting a little? I mean, I agree that pet stores can make some pretty half-assed attempts (or no attempt at all) to give their Ts a reasonably decipherable common name, but outside the pet trade, if you say "Greenbottle Blue" I think most people will know what you're talking about. And as far as people around the world understanding what you're talking about, I'll give you that, too. However, the point is, there are a lot of acceptable common names out there.
from a point of view of an 'imperialist' – "everyone speaks my language" – I would totally agree with you!
...but I have heared there are more than one country and one language in the world! =;-)
And even in the same language you will find more terms for the same thing or more than one common name for the same species.

nix für ungut!
Martin

---------------------
"In an interview with Dan Rather, Saddam has challenged President Bush to a live, televised debate. I think this would be fair, since English is a second language to both of them." -Jay Leno

Last edited:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That H. schmidti looks a lot like C.thorelli to me. Are they just similar in appearance, or has C.thorelli been moved to Haplopelma? BTW, what is C.fimbriatus like? I'd like to know more about this species.