Violin spider?

Margot J

Arachnosquire
Hello all! I see spiders like this in my house and I was wondering if they are violin spiders(I can’t think of the genus off the top of my head). If it is, I’m not going to squish it or anything, just give him ( big pedipalps) some space. Thanks!
Photo will be up momentarily

NYAN

Arachnoking
Nope, definitely not. Where was it found geographically?

Margot J

Arachnosquire
On the middle eastern coast of the US. Thanks for the quick reply!

NYAN

Arachnoking
On the middle eastern coast of the US. Thanks for the quick reply!

Here’s the range of Loxosceles in the US:

1B0D022E-423E-4FEB-BC34-33B450E17133.jpeg

As for the ID, I think it’s Archosia cubana.

Last edited:

Margot J

Arachnosquire
Oh, yeah! Oh my gosh, I have seen that map a couple times. My bad, I forgot... I'll make sure that I remember that and I spread the word to my friends. Thanks so much!

Margot J

Arachnosquire
On a related note, it's not true that brown recluses bite you in your sleep, correct? I have heard a lot of people say this but I doubt it.

NYAN

Arachnoking
On a related note, it's not true that brown recluses bite you in your sleep, correct? I have heard a lot of people say this but I doubt it.
It can and does happen, however it can only be determined if the spider is found in bed with you. Much of the time, especially out of range, people attribute mystery lesions to spiders biting them in their sleep. This of course is unfounded since they never find a spider nor do they live in their range.

Margot J

Arachnosquire
Thanks! It's weird a spider would bite a sleeping person. Sorry, one last question: You're absolutely sure the map is true? Not doubting you, just making sure so I don't spread false information.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Thanks! It's weird a spider would bite a sleeping person. Sorry, one last question: You're absolutely sure the map is true? Not doubting you, just making sure so I don't spread false information.
The map is reflective of known breeding populations of major species. It is missing Loxosceles kaiba, sabina, palma, russelli, and martha.

The map does not include individual specimens that have been found out of range. It doesn’t include very restricted breeding populations that have been found in single buildings. It also doesn’t include the two nonnative recluse spiders, L. laeta and rufescens, that occasionally pop up. All of these are very insignificant to the big picture mostly due to rarity and how restricted it is.

Overall, this map is the most accurate and widely accepted representation of the US ranges.

Margot J

Arachnosquire
Thank you so much for answering my questions :) I'll stop now. Thanks again!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Now I'm wondering what her spider is. I'm guessing agelenid, male.

Last edited: