Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Violin spider?

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Margot J, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Margot J

Margot J Arachnopeon

USA
    Advertisement
    Hello all! I see spiders like this in my house and I was wondering if they are violin spiders(I can’t think of the genus off the top of my head). If it is, I’m not going to squish it or anything, just give him ( big pedipalps) some space. Thanks!
    Photo will be up momentarily

2. Margot J

Margot J Arachnopeon

USA
    E973DDF3-1D83-43FA-BBEA-A1646AB6E977.jpeg

3. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    Nope, definitely not. Where was it found geographically?

4. Margot J

Margot J Arachnopeon

USA
    On the middle eastern coast of the US. Thanks for the quick reply!

5. NYAN

CA

Here’s the range of Loxosceles in the US:

1B0D022E-423E-4FEB-BC34-33B450E17133.jpeg

As for the ID, I think it’s Archosia cubana.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  6. Margot J

Margot J Arachnopeon

USA
    Oh, yeah! Oh my gosh, I have seen that map a couple times. My bad, I forgot... I'll make sure that I remember that and I spread the word to my friends. Thanks so much!

7. Margot J

Margot J Arachnopeon

USA
    On a related note, it's not true that brown recluses bite you in your sleep, correct? I have heard a lot of people say this but I doubt it.

8. NYAN

CA
    It can and does happen, however it can only be determined if the spider is found in bed with you. Much of the time, especially out of range, people attribute mystery lesions to spiders biting them in their sleep. This of course is unfounded since they never find a spider nor do they live in their range.

9. Margot J

Margot J Arachnopeon

USA
    Thanks! It's weird a spider would bite a sleeping person. Sorry, one last question: You're absolutely sure the map is true? Not doubting you, just making sure so I don't spread false information.

10. NYAN

CA
    The map is reflective of known breeding populations of major species. It is missing Loxosceles kaiba, sabina, palma, russelli, and martha.

The map does not include individual specimens that have been found out of range. It doesn’t include very restricted breeding populations that have been found in single buildings. It also doesn’t include the two nonnative recluse spiders, L. laeta and rufescens, that occasionally pop up. All of these are very insignificant to the big picture mostly due to rarity and how restricted it is.

Overall, this map is the most accurate and widely accepted representation of the US ranges.

11. Margot J

Margot J Arachnopeon

USA
    Thank you so much for answering my questions :) I'll stop now. Thanks again!

12. NYAN

CA
    Sure. Recluses are some of my favorite spiders. I love to talk about them.

13. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Now I'm wondering what her spider is. I'm guessing agelenid, male.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  14. NYAN

CA
    Archosia cubana was my guess

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.