Violent love.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
It's taken around 12 months and 5-6 pairing attempts and I may have finally had success.
The species is U.Novahollandae which are known to be very savage with pairings, it's common to find W.C females with broken pedipalps from encounters with males.
Every time I've paired these two it's been a matter of moving the male to the females enclosure (advised by a.b members) which results in the male running away with the female chasing him like a prey item.
So, with this attempt I set up a much bigger tank with more clutter and more room to run away as well as a "dance floor" area.
IMG_20200216_093314.jpg
I added the female who immediately found a piece of wood to hide under and I gave her 15 minutes to relax before adding the male.

I added the male and for the first time in 12 months he made a bee line straight for her, straight under the piece of wood , I decided to slightly lift the hide in case I needed to intervene.
Action Jackson.
All hell broke loose, with claws interlocked they were like sword fighters, during the encounter I witnessed the male sting her side and drag her backwards, I've bred many other Australian species but none were as violent as what went on here, it lasted around 25 seconds so I'm not sure if it was successful and I didn't get a chance to video it as I thought I would have to break them up.
After this encounter they stayed close to each other for around 2 hours, both were vibrating, jigging and jerking.
Which can be seen in the above link (male is on the left).
They have both since made burrows and I intend on keeping them together for at least a few days under close supervision.
Any thoughts or suggestions

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
what a fascinating species...yes I think its good that you supervise them when they're pairing, the female looks to be extremely aggressive and may kill the male if you don't! I'm not surprised she chases him around like he is a prey item. That size enclosure is a good slze for them both.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
The only species ive bred and unfortunately the female had a parasite so she died partway through gestation. Pairings are absolutely brutal. Hope it all works out well but looks like the 2 of them have already sorted out their differences which is good

Last edited:

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
The only species ive bred and unfortunately the female had a parasite so she died partway through gestation. Pairings are absolutely brutal. Hope it all works out well but looks like the 2 of them have already sorted out their differences which is good
Ah yes, I remember that one, it had the weird bulge thing?. Do you think it's ok to leave them together for a week now? There was no way of seeing if it was successful, it was sort of like throwing two wild cats into a bag and shaking it up. I just wasn't expecting it to be so full on

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Ah yes, I remember that one, it had the weird bulge thing?. Do you think it's ok to leave them together for a week now? There was no way of seeing if it was successful, it was sort of like throwing two wild cats into a bag and shaking it up. I just wasn't expecting it to be so full on
With an enclosure that big i reckon they might be alright. My male never left his burrow in his large setup unless forcibly unearthed

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Normally you would find a tiny leftover bit called a spermataphore that is sticking to the base of where they did their mating dance.
That's why you should provide a piece of stone or wood preferably large enough for both scorpions.
It's a pretty ingenious device. Take a look at object 'B' in the picture. ScorpionReproductiveOrgan-36.jpg