Vineyard near McMinnville, and an abandonded hazelnut orchard in Amity Oregon.

Brent H.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice! There aren't a lot of places where you can find both of those Argiope species together.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They weren't too close together. Maybe 50 miles apart. Still pretty sweet though. I was at work when I took these pictures. I work for an entomologist, and so I get to drive all over the Willamette Valley every week. :) Everything was found today at our sites.

Brent H.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ah, the Willamette Valley -- I love that area, nestled between the Coast Ranges and the Cascades. I scoured the valley in July 2004 searching for females of Antrodiaetus occultus, a mygalomorph spider that was only known from the males. I finally found it near Corvallis.

They weren't too close together. Maybe 50 miles apart. Still pretty sweet though. I was at work when I took these pictures. I work for an entomologist, and so I get to drive all over the Willamette Valley every week. :) Everything was found today at our sites.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ha! I live in Corvallis. :D Now, I am going to seriously have to find this mygalomorph. You have given me a mission!

Brent H.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ha! I live in Corvallis. :D Now, I am going to seriously have to find this mygalomorph. You have given me a mission!
It will be easier to go into the mountains. You can find Antrodiaetus pacificus ALL OVER out there.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is so awesome! I had no idea that they were in the Northwest!

Brent H.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is so awesome! I had no idea that they were in the Northwest!
There are all sorts of mygals in Oregon, mostly Antrodiaetus (at least 10 species I can think of off hand plus an undescribed species in the Blue Mountains), and some mecicobothriids, too.

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've just been searching for these on the net, and found a paper of yours. :) So far my searches have told me that I can pretty much find them anywhere. Is that right?

Actually, now that I think about it. I'm going to have to get to identifying some of the spiders I've recently caught. Who knows what I'm missing out on because I just didn't take the time to look them up.

Brent H.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've just been searching for these on the net, and found a paper of yours. :) So far my searches have told me that I can pretty much find them anywhere. Is that right?

Actually, now that I think about it. I'm going to have to get to identifying some of the spiders I've recently caught. Who knows what I'm missing out on because I just didn't take the time to look them up.
They have microhabitat preferences, but once you know what to look for, they are everywhere. I don't know what paper you found, but if you find the one about the two species in NC, that will tell you a little about what to look for (A. pacificus and A. unicolor are similar ecologically).