Vinegaroon?

kolomomma

Arachnopeon
I am thinking of getting a vinegaroon next weekend at the Natural History Museum Bug Fair. I think the proper name is Mastigoproctus giganteus? I saw and held one there last year and haven't stopped thinking about it since. How difficult are these to keep? And are there any special secrets I should know or things to prepare for before I bring my new friend home? I have researched them on the internet, but just looking for input from someone with experience. Thanks all!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Easy to house. They like to dig. I wouldn't keep the sub too wet or too dry. I'd put about 4 inches of sub in the cage along with a big flat rock and access to water. I've had a few that even have babies. Pretty interesting archnids.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
exactly,that's how i had mine setup aswell, and they live quite a long time:clap: ive kept many and never had any problems with them.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
about 5 1/2 gallon size tank will do,maybe alittle smaller(or you can go bigger 10 gallon),deep substrate it will be hiding most of the day,at night it will be active,i kept mine in plastic shoeboxes which worked great.

kolomomma

Arachnopeon
Yay! Cheap set-up! That will make it go over better with my husband too. I can't wait. They are such amazing creatures.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vinegaroons are great, I loved watching mine landscape the tank. However... be careful if you decide to hold it... they can't hold on very well... (mine fell on the floor and popped) :8o

I want to get another some day though. The care is easy, like everyone has said.