Vinegaroon won't come out

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
So I bought a Giant Vinegaroon female back in November. For a month, she was a very active animal... digging and burrowing. Also, she was a very enthusiastic feeder. However, since about the beginning of December, she burrowed herself under her cork slab and has remained there ever since. No evidence of her coming out at night or anything. She has pretty much sealed herself off from the outside world. I know she's still alive and well because I can pick up the enclosure and see her from the bottom. She responds to the movement, and her abdomen looks good.

This is the first one I've had. My tarantula instincts are telling me she wants to molt. But is this normal behavior for a vinegaroon?

Scourge

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Absolutely normal for these animals, they will periodically bury themselves for months at a time. Sometimes it is to moult, or lay eggs, but I think sometimes it's just seasonal. Just try to keep the conditions good and try not to disturb too much.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Absolutely normal for these animals, they will periodically bury themselves for months at a time. Sometimes it is to moult, or lay eggs, but I think sometimes it's just seasonal. Just try to keep the conditions good and try not to disturb too much.
Cool. Thanks for the reply!

Should I mist the substrate periodically? Or allow it to dry completely?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool. Thanks for the reply!

Should I mist the substrate periodically? Or allow it to dry completely?
Keep up the humidity, either by misting or maintaining a full water dish, but the substrate should not be kept constantly wet. It should be allowed to dry out in between (to prevent mold).

basin79

ArachnoGod
Don't know anything about their husbandry but if they need moist/damp substrate springtails will take care of any mold. Use them in my Megaphobema Mesomelas enclosure that is constantly moist.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Sounds good. I've been misting maybe once a week or less. Haven't had any mold issues yet, so that's good. Whenever I view her from the bottom to make sure she's still alive, I can tell it looks pretty moist in her little den.

Can't wait for her to come back out. She's very interactive!

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
Glad I found this post, I was just about to post a question about the exact same thing! My vinegaroon is buried somewhere in the dirt and I haven't seen it for about two weeks. I can't see a burrow anywhere, so I wasn't sure if I should go digging around for it or not. Sounds like I should leave it be and just keep misting the tank!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Glad I found this post, I was just about to post a question about the exact same thing! My vinegaroon is buried somewhere in the dirt and I haven't seen it for about two weeks. I can't see a burrow anywhere, so I wasn't sure if I should go digging around for it or not. Sounds like I should leave it be and just keep misting the tank!
Yup! She still hasn't come out. I was feeding her quite often before. So maybe she has enough energy stores for the long haul.... haha

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think M. giganteus has much of a problem with fungal infections. I've had mushrooms and fuzzy molds pop up, no problems over here. You may choose to play it better safe than sorry but, just saying you might not have to be so worried there. They are found in the dry west and in Florida, pretty flexible with environments.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Hey cool! She finally came out today. Looks good as ever! And now, of course, she's nice and busy rearranging her substrate. Good to see her again:)

These things are definitely going to take over the world when we're all gone:cool: