Vinegaroon(Uropygi) eating problems.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
I okay I had this amazing creature for a week now and I tried feeding him a cricket wasn’t to big or too small and I dropped right in front of him and he like open up his pinchers but then stopped and just left the cricket. Is there something wrong here I’m doing or is it something else? Is he in pre molt or should I just be patient and wait? I don’t want him to starve.

Wout

Arachnopeon
Patients just like you suggested. He will start to eat when he is ready to eat again.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
So should If he doesn’t eat the cricket overnight so I try again tomorrow or wait another week?

Wout

Arachnopeon
Try again in a couple of days. If he is not very thin I would not worry to much.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
Okay he still hasn’t eaten anything is there something wrong with him or is it the housing what can someone help me here please

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Okay, first off I would post a picture. Those are very helpful. Secondly, as somebody else mentioned, if he is does not have a thin abdomen wise then he should be fine. Most invertebrates do not need a ton of food.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Looks fine to me. You do not need to feed him for now. What does his enclosure look like?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Time of year says that they should be bunkering down to hibernate, and most juveniles will molt and females will lay eggs during this time. Photos and size(head to end of abdomen minis tail) would be helpful. Mine’s refusing food as well and he’s beginning to start diggina lot. How much substrate do you have? They’ll make a little chamber in the dirt to wait out the winter and should emerge in a few months when springtime rolls again. Here’s a pic of mine, if your’s looks the same he/she’ll be fine and won’t really need amy extra food. When I tried to give mine some he actially sprayed me three times.

Attachments

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
I wanted to save money so I used a 1.5 gallon fish tank I put eco earth for the substrate, some moss and leaf litter and one cork wood in the middle it’s what he came with. And I have small crickets for him to eat. And I mist daily but not too much.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
He looks fine, I wouldn’t be too worried about him. Based off of the photo he still looks like a juvenile, still some molts left on him.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
Mine is still young I got the smallest one. And I think I have two inches of substrate maybe that’s why too and I got sprayed once when I tried to offer food for it.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I would wait a few weeks or days and try again if you’re uncertain but waiting would be the best option, if it’s in premolt or already molting the feeder might stress it out.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
Okay, should I just wait till it’s February? And I haven’t seen him out for like two days now so I hope he’s okay.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay, should I just wait till it’s February? And I haven’t seen him out for like two days now so I hope he’s okay.
I had one that was under a rock for 9 months, there was no eating or drinking for 9 months. But it was very humid under the rock it was under so it might have drank water from condensation that I just wasn't aware of. Just keep the substrate at least a little moist, it should be OK. You have to think in weeks or months instead of days with these.

jnet

Arachnopeon
Time of year says that they should be bunkering down to hibernate, and most juveniles will molt and females will lay eggs during this time. Photos and size(head to end of abdomen minis tail) would be helpful. Mine’s refusing food as well and he’s beginning to start diggina lot. How much substrate do you have? They’ll make a little chamber in the dirt to wait out the winter and should emerge in a few months when springtime rolls again. Here’s a pic of mine, if your’s looks the same he/she’ll be fine and won’t really need amy extra food. When I tried to give mine some he actially sprayed me three times.
Thank you so much! I'm in the same situation, and found this helpful :)

Attachments