Vinegaroon thoughts and advice!

Khanti

Arachnopeon
Hi guys! This weekend I should be picking up a vinegaroon which is super exciting to me since I've been wanting one so badly for so long! I was wondering if you guys had some tips or tricks that may not be obvious?

I'd also love to get terrarium inspiration as I set mine up so if you guys have some cool setups you can share that would be awesome! Or Share pictures of your vineagaroons as well! I'm just vineagaroon crazy right now haha :)

And lastly what do you guys think is the best substrate? I currently have a lot of eco-earth so I was hoping to use that but I've seen a lot of different substrates used for them.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A deepish substrate for them to burrow in, but if you want them to burrow you'll want to add some sand and clay so it can form structure. Otherwise, you can give them some ecoearth with a few things to hide under. You'll probably get more answers to this under the "True Spiders and Other Arachnids" subforum.

bigjej

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep my smaller ones in simple deli containers with eco earth. I feed them a variety of invertebrates, depending on what I have on hand ( I keep inverts and reptiles, so generally have a variety of feeders). I've had them take crickets, mealworms, superworms, waxworms, earthworms, soldier flies (larvae and adults), etc. They are not shy. I mist mine whenever the substrate looks very dry. The Giant Vinegaroons are a desert species but live in burrows where humidity is probably higher (like many t's). Once they outgrow the deli cups, I move them to tupperware with holes drilled for ventilation, a piece of cork or wood for hiding and otherwise the same. They are quite unique and interesting. Difficult, but possible, to breed. I haven't gotten that far yet but when my current individuals are a bit larger, I'd like to try.

Khanti

Arachnopeon
A deepish substrate for them to burrow in, but if you want them to burrow you'll want to add some sand and clay so it can form structure. Otherwise, you can give them some ecoearth with a few things to hide under. You'll probably get more answers to this under the "True Spiders and Other Arachnids" subforum.
Where would I buy clay? And is there a certain type...? I don't know anything about clay apparently lol.

Khanti

Arachnopeon
Than
I keep my smaller ones in simple deli containers with eco earth. I feed them a variety of invertebrates, depending on what I have on hand ( I keep inverts and reptiles, so generally have a variety of feeders). I've had them take crickets, mealworms, superworms, waxworms, earthworms, soldier flies (larvae and adults), etc. They are not shy. I mist mine whenever the substrate looks very dry. The Giant Vinegaroons are a desert species but live in burrows where humidity is probably higher (like many t's). Once they outgrow the deli cups, I move them to tupperware with holes drilled for ventilation, a piece of cork or wood for hiding and otherwise the same. They are quite unique and interesting. Difficult, but possible, to breed. I haven't gotten that far yet but when my current individuals are a bit larger, I'd like to try.
Thanks for the tips. Is there a such thing as too big of an enclosure for them? The breeder said the vinegaroons are about 2inches right now and I was planning on using a 20 gallon tank.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Hi guys! This weekend I should be picking up a vinegaroon which is super exciting to me since I've been wanting one so badly for so long! I was wondering if you guys had some tips or tricks that may not be obvious?

I'd also love to get terrarium inspiration as I set mine up so if you guys have some cool setups you can share that would be awesome! Or Share pictures of your vineagaroons as well! I'm just vineagaroon crazy right now haha :)

And lastly what do you guys think is the best substrate? I currently have a lot of eco-earth so I was hoping to use that but I've seen a lot of different substrates used for them.
Mine has a half log to hide under and she barely uses it, it looks like she prefers to lay out in the open, and once you get yours try to post a pic of the abdomen to see if we can figure out the gender (I have a beautiful, peaceful female named Jade) right now she is in coco fiber, but thats because i dont have peat moss (I will be picking up some in a couple of days) if you want to handle your vinegaroon tickle the back legs and it'll walk on your hand (at least that works for me) but be careful with that acid tho

Attachments

Hurts@1st

Arachnopeon
We found tons of them in AZ but they were all in a grassy field under just about any rock.

When you lifted a rock there would be a body width tunnel leading to a bit larger cavity under the center of the rock with a beautiful mastigoproctus giganteus looking up at you.

The ones we brought home readily took to cocofiber mixed with back yard clay soil. We baked the clay on cookie sheets at 400 for an hour just because it seemed done.

Sure enough they made tunnels under the flat rocks we provided. The flat rocks also prevented damaging a more elaborate tunnel by easily being able to lift these and remove the vinegaroons.

I've held just about everything I could get my hands on I must say these guys are super sweet, interactive and really seem to enjoy getting out and being held.

My friend Peter believed he lost a few due to over feeding. I paced all mine and they lived for four years (three years longer than the ones Peter power fed). I too noticed there is no such thing as a "full" vinegaroons.

All of mine died within 8 months of each other for what ever that is worth.

You'll enjoy these guys for sure. I wish I had more proven info for you but that was my experience with them.

Good luck!

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
My vinegaroon is eating a cricket as I type. I didnt think she was gonna take it because she didnt want it yesterday, but she didnt even give the cricket time to fall in the enclosure, she already had him lol oh and btw they eat really fast (at least mine does compared to my tarantula)

Khanti

Arachnopeon
Mine has a half log to hide under and she barely uses it, it looks like she prefers to lay out in the open, and once you get yours try to post a pic of the abdomen to see if we can figure out the gender (I have a beautiful, peaceful female named Jade) right now she is in coco fiber, but thats because i dont have peat moss (I will be picking up some in a couple of days) if you want to handle your vinegaroon tickle the back legs and it'll walk on your hand (at least that works for me) but be careful with that acid tho
Do you know when they can be sexed? Mine should be about 2 inches. And the acid does make me nervous haha I hate that smell but I manage to handle my asian forest scorpion without upsetting her so I hope the vinegaroon will have a good temper as well!

Khanti

Arachnopeon
My vinegaroon is eating a cricket as I type. I didnt think she was gonna take it because she didnt want it yesterday, but she didnt even give the cricket time to fall in the enclosure, she already had him lol oh and btw they eat really fast (at least mine does compared to my tarantula)
That's great! I love inverts with big appetites! Plus right now I have more baby dubia roaches from my colony than i know what to do with, so hopefully it will help me control the population a bit more since my scorpion isn't really interested in them :p

Khanti

Arachnopeon
We found tons of them in AZ but they were all in a grassy field under just about any rock.

When you lifted a rock there would be a body width tunnel leading to a bit larger cavity under the center of the rock with a beautiful mastigoproctus giganteus looking up at you.

The ones we brought home readily took to cocofiber mixed with back yard clay soil. We baked the clay on cookie sheets at 400 for an hour just because it seemed done.

Sure enough they made tunnels under the flat rocks we provided. The flat rocks also prevented damaging a more elaborate tunnel by easily being able to lift these and remove the vinegaroons.

I've held just about everything I could get my hands on I must say these guys are super sweet, interactive and really seem to enjoy getting out and being held.

My friend Peter believed he lost a few due to over feeding. I paced all mine and they lived for four years (three years longer than the ones Peter power fed). I too noticed there is no such thing as a "full" vinegaroons.

I'm so jealous, I wish there were wild vinegaroons where I live! And yeah I heard about over-feeding being a problem with scorpions too so I will probably have mine on a similar feeding schedule as my scorp so hopefully it'll live a long time :)
All of mine died within 8 months of each other for what ever that is worth.

You'll enjoy these guys for sure. I wish I had more proven info for you but that was my experience with them.

Good luck!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Hm, for some reason for the past few years my M. giganteus has only eaten 2-5 prey items a year. She is not very enthusiastic with prey at all. I think it may just be that she's winding down.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Do you know when they can be sexed? Mine should be about 2 inches. And the acid does make me nervous haha I hate that smell but I manage to handle my asian forest scorpion without upsetting her so I hope the vinegaroon will have a good temper as well!
Oh, dont worry about that, they are really calm, unless you get one straight from hell, i think you will be fine, but if you see a lifted abdomen and pedipals extended towards you, your vinegaroon might be angry, and i dont know if i would be able to sex it at two inches but we dont lose anything by trying right?

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
That's great! I love inverts with big appetites! Plus right now I have more baby dubia roaches from my colony than i know what to do with, so hopefully it will help me control the population a bit more since my scorpion isn't really interested in them :p[/QUOTE
That's great! I love inverts with big appetites! Plus right now I have more baby dubia roaches from my colony than i know what to do with, so hopefully it will help me control the population a bit more since my scorpion isn't really interested in them :p
How often do you plan on feeding? People say 5 prey items a week, i consider that way too much, i mean, in the wild, does the food fall next to them every day? I dont think so, i feed mine around every 7 days or so, and she seems happy

Khanti

Arachnopeon
5 definitely sounds like too much depending on the prey size. Since I have a lot of baby dubias I'll probably offer it 2 or 3 in one week, or maybe just one cricket. I'll be able to better judge when I see how big it actually is and see how close it is to next molt. My scorpion has been less hungry as she's been approaching her next molt. so I am guessing a vinagaroon will be similar.

Khanti

Arachnopeon
Oh, dont worry about that, they are really calm, unless you get one straight from hell, i think you will be fine, but if you see a lifted abdomen and pedipals extended towards you, your vinegaroon might be angry, and i dont know if i would be able to sex it at two inches but we don't lose anything by trying right?
Very true! The tricky part will just be trying to get a decent picture! Or maybe I will be lucky and the breeder will know the sex :) I'm actually really hoping that before he brings it he'll ask if there is a gender I prefer, but I doubt I will be that lucky haha.

Khanti

Arachnopeon
Hm, for some reason for the past few years my M. giganteus has only eaten 2-5 prey items a year. She is not very enthusiastic with prey at all. I think it may just be that she's winding down.
Oh wow years? It's incredible that they can go that long with so little food!

Khanti

Arachnopeon
Just realized this topic is totally in the wrong forum, I was really sick and sleep-deprived when I posted this though so that's my defense xD

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
5 definitely sounds like too much depending on the prey size. Since I have a lot of baby dubias I'll probably offer it 2 or 3 in one week, or maybe just one cricket. I'll be able to better judge when I see how big it actually is and see how close it is to next molt. My scorpion has been less hungry as she's been approaching her next molt. so I am guessing a vinagaroon will be similar.
I just feed an adult cricket every week or so, but definetly you should judge depending on the vinegaroom size and prey item size

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
Very true! The tricky part will just be trying to get a decent picture! Or maybe I will be lucky and the breeder will know the sex :) I'm actually really hoping that before he brings it he'll ask if there is a gender I prefer, but I doubt I will be that lucky haha.
What do you prefer? I prefer females, because of the bigger abdomen, and when your vinegaroon its inside its new enclosure it might start trying to climb the walls/glass, you might get a good picture if it does that, i need to see the bottom of the abdomen to try to accurately sex it, like this

Attachments