Vinegaroon pics

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
here is our huntress....she rivals even the most voracious Ts in her eating habits!
she is stalking her prey in this photo

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
and, the catch!
It's really cool when she uses those whip like appendages to feel around for the prey. She's very fast too.
She is missing the tail like appendage, but she can still spray.
I need to research the scientific names for her parts :)

Last edited:

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very Cool! Someday, I would like to own one of those. You should be proud of your beauty :)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
wooooow :eek:

damn i'm jalous, very nice whipscorpion, can't find them around here :(

realy cool looking arachnid

Can you tell me how old they can get?

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They got 6 of theses in at a pet store near me. What would you rate them on a scale from 1-10? Should i go ahead and get one?:)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vinegaroons are the coolest, no arachnid collection is complete without one. They are slow moving and harmless to the keeper (no venom) and tolerate moderate amounts of handling.

I've read that they live around 3 years, although I had one that lived for 4 and it was adult when I got it. I'm currently raising some babies and the impression I'm getting is that they are fairly slow growing. If I had to guess at total life span, I'd say 7-9 years, taking half that time to reach maturity. This is pure speculation on my part, however.

They have proven difficult to breed in captivity, mainly because the female will eat her eggs at the slightest disturbance, and I mean slightest.

Holley-

Are shure that's a female? The big palps suggest male to me. Of course, it's hard to tell without having more than one to compare.

Wade

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow this thread is cool! After years of keeping inverts I went ahead and broke down and bought one! Wow they are so cool and fun to handle. :)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
you all make me so jalous,.... i really want such a Texas Whipscorp :)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Holley,
you're right..she's absolutely voracious..:) when she was here..she ate with more gusto than anything I have..
Peace,
Gillian

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Wade,
I don't know, I thought she was...but I only have one as well..so, no comparison!
Whatever she/he is, it's a very cool arachnid!

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Anybody who knows were to buy them in Europe?

I've only seen the small azian species beeing offered, but i'm only intrested in the Mastigoproctus giganteus

Anybody who can help me?

greetz

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
gongyles search in terraristik.com and look also in the insects section and not only in the spider/scorpions one.
I'm sure you'll find something there.

and if you don't find anything just place an add for what you're looking for and never know...

And by the way that's a really cool name for a bug (Mastigoproctus) in Greek the meaning is:
Mastigo= whip
proctus=ass

:D :D

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
And by the way that's a really cool name for a bug (Mastigoproctus) in Greek the meaning is:
lol :D

yeah, you'd also had a greek explenation for hierodula mantis as i can remember =D

i visit terraristik.com daily, but haven't found any succes there,... i'll keep on trying :)

thanx

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Picked up this beauty today at a pet store. Its about a inch nailed a cricket as soon as i put it in I love them i might go up and get the other ones they have.:)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
cool pic! are they not the most awesome predators?!
Mine is just an eating machine!
I love the way they hunt, with the 'antenna' waving around.
(note to self: must learn vinegaroon part names!) :D

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah immortal theses things rule i dident know they were this much fun. Anybody that doesent have one should get one asap.:D

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah immortal i dident know they were this much fun.:) Anybody that doesent have one should get one asap.:D

Emanuele

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The "antenna" are the first pair of legs evolved for tactile use...
The lacking part at the end of the abdomen, able to spray acid, is the telson.
The catching extremities are the palps.
Regards
Emanuele

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those things look absolutely EVIL! i was pretty shocked when i read how docile and handleable theyare. hopefully sometime i'll be able to find one. :D