Vinegaroon Mites Help!

Hobbes

Arachnopeon
Looking at my vinegaroon today I believe it is infected with parasitic mites. It doesn't seem to be too many, mainly around the joints. Wondering if these are in fact mites and if so is there anything I can do? I've heard of putting fresh lemon slices in a terrarium to help with mites on ants. I also saw something on this forum about putting canned dog food in with a vinegaroon to help with mites. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Hobbes

Arachnopeon
Sorry the picture is grainy but I'm worried the white spheres around the base of his legs and where the thorax and abdomen connect may be parasitic mites

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Sure looks like mites feeding on connective tissues.

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
Sure looks like mites feeding on connective tissues.
agree, theyre at the correct locations... As for what to do, ive heard of people using a q-tip to remove them, but id also suggest some form of food they could congregate on.

Hobbes

Arachnopeon
I was reading on hear and saw something about removing them with a paintbrush would that work. As for a food would oranges or lemons work?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
agree, theyre at the correct locations... As for what to do, ive heard of people using a q-tip to remove them, but id also suggest some form of food they could congregate on.
If the mites are parasitic then they wouldn't go for any other kind of food put in with the vinegaroon. They look like the same phoretic "grain" mites that the tarantula crowd says are harmless. Their placement on the body doesn't have much to do with what they eat. Mites of any kind will settle in the joints of an arachnid body for protection from exposure.