Vinegaroon Info

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I often do animal demonstrations and am searching for something interesting and new, so I'm considering a vinegaroon. I found a few caresheets so I know the standard warmth, substrate, and housing, but wait I mainly need to know is:

1. How hardy are they? I'd be getting a fairly young Juvi.

2. Are they handleable?

Much thanks!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I often do animal demonstrations and am searching for something interesting and new, so I'm considering a vinegaroon. I found a few caresheets so I know the standard warmth, substrate, and housing, but wait I mainly need to know is:

1. How hardy are they? I'd be getting a fairly young Juvi.

2. Are they handleable?

Much thanks!

They're fairly hardy. I feed mine about twice a week. A bit more. No water dish yet, but I keep the substrate fairly moist.

As for handlability, I personally wouldn't. They don't seem too skittish (mine don't) but they seem fragile.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alright, thank you. I'm trying to find a good demonstration arachnid and it was a choice between a vinegaroon, an Emperor Scorpion, and another Flat Rock Scorpion.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I find these often. They put on quite a show when you approach one in the wild (North American sp). They calm down real fast. I handled the ones I've had allot. I've kept them on and off for many years with none kicking the bucket for some unknown reason. I handle Emps allot too but would prefer to handle a Vinegaroon. I think they are interesting and don't understand why they aren't more popular in the hobby. Funny to watch them dig a hole. They will grab a load of dirt, feel around for a good place to put it, spread it out.. It's like they are really "thinking" about it.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i find mine, t. crucifer, rather placid. teh advantage with them over scorps is there is NO risk of a sting, which would undoubtedly raise some noise.

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they just spray ascetic acid when startled. but when approached slowly, they are calm.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine was jumpy until I got it into a better setup (somewhere where it could build a cave). Now it's too deep down to handle much, but it was fairly calm when I held it. It never vinegarooned me. :)

The only problems I have with mine is that the prey outruns it.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine was jumpy until I got it into a better setup (somewhere where it could build a cave). Now it's too deep down to handle much, but it was fairly calm when I held it. It never vinegarooned me. :)

The only problems I have with mine is that the prey outruns it.
Mine is too eager to explore and sometimes gets it's 'whips' closed in the deli cup accidentally.

No limbs lost yet and nothing visably injured, though so we're all good.