Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Vinegaroon hibernation

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by MiaPow, Oct 15, 2019.

1. MiaPow

MiaPow Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Do Vinegaroons hibernate but still explore the enclosure? Is their hibernation all or nothing or will they still roam and explore around a little bit. All four juvenile Vinegaroons seemed to have expressed an interest in hibernation but I still see them poking out of the holes every now an again, none of them have been interested in any food for a some time, (over a month,) they used to all eat at least once a week.

2. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Mine digs down and completely seals herself off. Fills the tunnel in and that's here for months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MiaPow

MiaPow Arachnopeon

That’s what I figured but they haven’t sealed up the multiple entrances yet. They aren’t out as often as before, even at night time. Did yours seal up yet?

4. hecklad

hecklad Arachnosquire Active Member

I might be getting some soon (the florida species), is hibernation a necessary thing or impact longevity? And if so, what temperatures will result in hibernation?

5. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

No. My lass disappeared late last year and surfaced in June. She'll not be digging down yet. She might well skip this year to bulk back up.

6. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnoangel

Mine skip hibernation some years, inuaven’t quite figured that out yet.

7. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoangel Active Member

Sometimes wetting the substrate to allow them to burrow helps.

8. MiaPow

MiaPow Arachnopeon

I still spray each enclosure and provide a water source for humidity and drinking. All my Vinegaroons have built multiple burrows a while ago. They do spend much more time then usual in the burrows since it has gotten colder but I still catch them from time to time exploring. I was expecting them to seal off the entrances and hunker down by now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.