Vinegaroon Cage Size

bluecatfish

Arachnopeon
I have had a 1" Vinegaroon for about four months now. He's active, drinking, etc. However I haven't seen him eat. It could be that he's catching some of the dwarf white isopods I put in the tank, but I'm not really sure. It's a ten gallon setup and I'm wondering if it's too big for him to find his food and I should move him to a five gallon. Usually I keep his food in a bowl on one side of the tank that he can get in and out of but the feeders cannot.

Edited for spelling.

arizonablue

Arachnosquire
If he's active I wouldn't worry about him too much. However, for a 1" invert a ten gallon does seem like a bit too much space. What are you feeding him? For a vinegaroon, a bowl is unnecessary. I feed mine crickets, and he seems to enjoy hunting them down all over the tank. Yours might not be as interested in prey that can't move around as much.

bluecatfish

Arachnopeon
I've tried isopods larger than the dwarf whites, dubia, crickets, mealworms, hornworm, and waxworm. Cricket escaped the bowl but was found dead in tank uneaten. I will try offering crickets again though... I've only offered them maybe twice.

I plopped him in the ten because I had one available, but maybe I will transfer him to a five and see how he does. It will require some juggling, but it's doable.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I got one a few months back that is about 1.5" with tail. Mine is housed in a (medium?) KK about 8" by 3" by 6" just eyeballing it. Does really well in that. A 10 gal is way to big for an 1"
vinegaroon. May have problems finding food, but as long as the abdomen is a decent size then it probably isn't a huge problem. If you decide to keep it in there, maybe try tong feeding? My slow scorps seem to prefer it, as red runners are a little fast for them. Any pics of the vinegaroon or the enclosure?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recommend a smaller enclosure.
For my young vinegaroons, I went to the dollar store and got some containers that are about 10 inches long, 8 inches tall, and about 5 inches deep. I cut a section out of the lids, and covered it with fine-weaved chiffon fabric. They don't seem cramped at all, and the enclosures cost me a dollar each. I'll replace them once the 'roons grow a bit, of course.

One is in a chamber against the side, and seems to be preparing for a molt, the other is awake and hungry! It goes after crickets voraciously!
Here is one of them hunting, shortly after I got it. I have since moved them into the enclosures mentioned above.

Last edited: