Vietnamese centipede setup

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I do have an empty 10 gallon aquarium. So what is the setup for the vietnamese centipede? Anything on lifespan? Could they be housed in a herphaven breeder kritter keeper (large)?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is mine, and worked IMO, since she gave birth to 25 pedelings (S.subspinipes, btw) recently.

image_52036.jpg

- Inches (offered at least 5) of Irish peat moss always moist, a couple of fake leaves, pieces of cork bark, moss & water dish. Done.

Ventilation IMO is very important, as well as an escape proof enclosure, on that sense mine isn't too much of an Alcatraz but oh well, so far so good :-s

* I don't know "herphaven" so I can't give you an opinion about, but honestly I wouldn't keep a centipede in a KK, even if I saw in YT vids someone do that. They are too skilled at 'papillon' the hell out... to the point that T's are a joke, compared.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I do have an empty 10 gallon aquarium. So what is the setup for the vietnamese centipede? Anything on lifespan? Could they be housed in a herphaven breeder kritter keeper (large)?
No idea what the dimensions of the aquarium are. The main thing you want with a pede is that your enclosure is escape proof. A pede will climb up the silicon in the corners so will be able to reach the top. So ensure the lid is tight fitting with no gaps big enough for the pede to squeeze through.

Next you'll want at least 4" of substrate for an adult. A piece of cork bark big enough for the pede to easily hide under and a water dish.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
That sounds quite easy. In terms I thought that they needed heat or something. Now with that in mind what about housing for babies? How fast do they molt? Lifespan?

basin79

ArachnoGod
That sounds quite easy. In terms I thought that they needed heat or something. Now with that in mind what about housing for babies? How fast do they molt? Lifespan?
I do heat mine. And have heated all the pedes I've ever had.

Just do the above but on a smaller scale.

Molting depends on the temperature they're kept and how much they eat. As well as their age.

I'm unsure on a pedes lifespan to be honest. I've read 5 years. I've read longer.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As far as the heat is concerned IMO you apply the same rule of T's, but too much cold (especially since they need moist substrate) is a "no way", they are tropicals at the end.

Lifespan is a mistery for me... because, let's be honest, centipedes on that sense aren't much appreciated and therefore "studied" the same way like arachnids were, sadly. Anyway based on what other keepers told me their lifespan sucks if compared to certain T's.

You can house pedelings in little jars.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I keep mine at room temprature, 23-24 degrees and they have been growing fine.

Two key points are moisture and ventilation, which can be tricky to balance.

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
OP, make sure that lid snaps shut or slides or has weight spread out on top. Last night I couldn't sleep and I laid on my back in a dark stupor listening to the sounds of my S. Dehaani's claws hitting the glass. It's tank is tall and made of glass with a sliding screen top and a peg put down through the top so Atilla (My Pede) can't slide the top over and scale the Great Wall. And during my final moments of conscienceness I heard the sounds of my little red devil latching on to the top of the screen and riding around the top and as I slipped away into my nightly nothingness I felt trepidation as i could only fathom the pede was pushing the pin out and preparing to assassinate me in my own castle.
I made it through the night, but the day may come I awake for the last time with 42 legs over my mouth and forcipules in my jugular.

I'm being dramatic, but pede security should be well thought out and executed. If you cannot properly contain your future Pede now you are better off waiting and getting a proper set up.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You'll want a lid with either large enough or small enough ventilation holes to prevent them from getting their fangs stuck and broken and from escaping, respectively.

craze horse

Arachnosquire
Personally I really don't agree with some of the jars that are used. No matter how big. Everything needs space to have a run sometimes.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Personally I really don't agree with some of the jars that are used. No matter how big. Everything needs space to have a run sometimes.
Pedes definitely need space to roam.

Baby pedes though could be easily housed in jars though. A jar to a baby pede is like a huge RUB for an adult pede.