Vietnamese Centipede Care Sheet?

Help Me

Arachnopeon
A local petshop says has a centipede and I would like to buy it. Can you guys tell me how you take care of Centipedes? It's a vietnamese centipede, the scientific name isn't listed on their website.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
It's more than likely a Scolopendra dehaani. You should be able to find a lot of care information using the forum's search function, as this is probably the most common species in the trade. Sadly, they're not the best first species to start with. They can be sensitive to moisture/humidity levels, are prone to often lethal mycosis infections, and have a very strong, medically significant venom. A better species to look into would be Scolopendra polymorpha.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Wasn’t meant to be rude, just want to put that out there. But having no prior experience with pedes based on your initial question, from the little I do know about centipedes, I just don’t think you’re ready. However... I could be completely wrong. I think your best bet is to use the form and learn about them as much as you can, then come back with more specific questions. Asking people how to take care of them kinda gives off the impression you haven’t done any of your own research, if that makes sense. Just food for thought.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I totally understand wanting to get into centipedes, but I would NOT start with a Scolopendra dehaani. They're large, wicked fast, and possess a bite that might lead you to a hospital. There are plenty of other species which I think would be better to start with.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Wasn’t meant to be rude, just want to put that out there. But having no prior experience with pedes based on your initial question, from the little I do know about centipedes, I just don’t think you’re ready. However... I could be completely wrong. I think your best bet is to use the form and learn about them as much as you can, then come back with more specific questions. Asking people how to take care of them kinda gives off the impression you haven’t done any of your own research, if that makes sense. Just food for thought.
This is the general opinion of a lot of long time board members. It's not meant to be discouraging, but it certainly comes off that way to the uninitiated. While it's awesome that you are asking this question before making an impulse purchase and I greatly commend you for that, a lot of us are really passionate about this hobby and greatly appreciate a new user who does their due diligence in prior research. AB has been a nexus of knowledge for invert husbandry for going on two decades. A cursory glimpse of some previous posts using the search function would have revealed to you that these are a really, really bad choice as a first pede, despite their ready availability. You would have also learned that the Asian centipedes are extremely fast, ill tempered, unpredictable, highly sensitive to moisture, escape artists, and in possession of the worst venom in the centipede world (There has been one confirmed fatality and numerous hospitalizations. With no prior experience, there's a good chance you might add to these numbers). Full disclosure, my first pede was a S. dehaani. I knew what I was getting into, I had a lot of experience dealing with fast, ornery reptiles, and I knew how to keep stable husbandry parameters. The pede still died within 18 months from mycosis. A much better, much less venomous, and much hardier choice would be one of the Southwest American species like S. heros or S. polymorpha. Sadly, you probably won't find one of these in your local pet store. If you really want to enjoy the awesome predatory nature of a centipede, my suggestion would be to research one of these two species and peruse AB's classified forum and one of the specialized invert dealer's pricelist to acquire one.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I have S mutilans, S dehaani "Giant Laos" and S dehaani x 4.
I have only had the 4 dehaani for 1 day and will be rehousing tomorrow so I'll get my first encounter with them then.
Of the other two, the mutilans is fast, but not as fast as the Giant Laos.
Try to source captive hatched as opposed to WC.
They like a deep substrate, a hide, a water bowl and an escape proof enclosure. Be aware two that they can chew through thin plastic and also through the metal mesh on lids of many commercially available enclosures. If you use a glass enclosure, check how it is put together. That layer of silicone between panels makes a lovely leg-up for them!
The safest enclosure is one that has more height than the length of the specimen, not including the substrate. So it you have a 12 inch pede, you should be looking at a almost 24 inch deep enclosure, to provide around 12 inches of substrate and 12 inches above that to prevent the pede reaching the lid.
They are a hands off animal at all times.
Food wise, they are omnivorous and some literature suggests that they a live longer and are healthier of fed some fruits as well as the usual live foods.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I totally understand wanting to get into centipedes, but I would NOT start with a Scolopendra dehaani. They're large, wicked fast, and possess a bite that might lead you to a hospital. There are plenty of other species which I think would be better to start with.
Sadly, they're not the best first species to start with.
I don't get why a lot of you folks keep saying that, honestly.

A S. subspinipes was my first 'pede (after more or less 25 years of keeping only various arachnids) and not only I wasn't tagged or else, but I managed even to complete her pregnancy without issues (the bugger arrived gravid, but since said 'pede was obviously sold to me as unsexed I was clueless about that detail... In Europe to sold unsexed 'pedes is the norm except very, very few exceptions). So, aside knowing perfectly the set up and the parameters to provide (arriving from OW's T's etc) I was a 'noob' as well, on that sense.

Also (again, here in Europe) isn't always easy to find American 'pedes that are more 'beginner friendly' (say various S. polymorpha or S. heros; Or, maybe less 'beginner friendly', those S. gigantea of southern America), especially finding those when 'you' want one. Unlike the classical Asian ones, very cheap and always available (S. subspinipes; S. dehaani).
Ok, according to the profile details the user that started this thread is from California (so he/she have alternatives, on that sense, desert 'pedes and etc) but my point remain for us, European keepers: A lot of us, started with Asian 'pedes.

Every 'pede is basically very defensive and fast, one moment. Every 'pede is an escape artist. Yes, the venom of those Asian is brutal, no questions, but using always attention, providing the right set up (inches of substrate, lot of rocks, fake leafs and cork bark for hiding) those nasty becomes more "calmer".

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron

A S. subspinipes was my first 'pede (after more or less 25 years of keeping only various arachnids) and not only I wasn't tagged or else, but I managed even to complete her pregnancy without issues (the bugger arrived gravid, but since said 'pede was obviously sold to me as unsexed I was clueless about that detail... In Europe to sold unsexed 'pedes is the norm except very, very few exceptions). So, aside knowing perfectly the set up and the parameters to provide (arriving from OW's T's etc) I was a 'noob' as well, on that sense.

Also (again, here in Europe) isn't always easy to find American 'pedes that are more 'beginner friendly' (say various S. polymorpha or S. heros; Or, maybe less 'beginner friendly', those S. gigantea of southern America), especially finding those when 'you' want one. Unlike the classical Asian ones, very cheap and always available (S. subspinipes; S. dehaani).
Ok, according to the profile details the user that started this thread is from California (so he/she have alternatives, on that sense, desert 'pedes and etc) but my point remain for us, European keepers: A lot of us, started with Asian 'pedes.

Every 'pede is basically very defensive and fast, one moment. Every 'pede is an escape artist. Yes, the venom of those Asian is brutal, no questions, but using always attention, providing the right set up (inches of substrate, lot of rocks, fake leafs and cork bark for hiding) those nasty becomes more "calmer".
I know personally, the reason I "keep saying that" is because I have worked with professionals, with years of husbandry experience, who are still incredibly cautious about and with dehaanis. And it's not because their setup is "wrong." Are almost all pedes incredibly fast and aggressive? Yes. Does Scolopendra dehaani's larger size and incredibly potent venom take it to another level? Also yes. Large fast centipede with venom that can kill you = more dangerous centipede.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +

Ready availability in and of itself in no way condones a species as beginner appropriate. By that logic, the best first big lizard could be a nile monitor or green iguana, the best first fish could be an oscar or a pacu, the best first old world arboreal could be Stromatopelma calceatum or Heteroscodra maculata, and the best first indoor palm tree could be Ravenea rivularis. Availability and price are both factors when determining how suitable a species is for entry into a hobby, but they take a back seat in comparison to ease of care, temperment, potential consequences, size, and behaviour. My path was the same as yours, I started with an Asian species and I heavily leaned on research and past experience to be able to have a modicum of success. Without that, I would have been in over my head for sure. If OP has a similar background, then the question probably never would have been asked. The research would've been done and the animal purchased.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I know personally, the reason I "keep saying that" is because I have worked with professionals, with years of husbandry experience, who are still incredibly cautious about and with dehaanis. And it's not because their setup is "wrong." Are almost all pedes incredibly fast and aggressive? Yes. Does Scolopendra dehaani's larger size and incredibly potent venom take it to another level? Also yes. Large fast centipede with venom that can kill you = more dangerous centipede.
Of course everyone acts always careful (and should, always, being careful) around those, but aside their venom potency, can you really say now that a S. subspinipes is a more defensive centipede than a S. cingulata, which are a native species here? Really? Another level? I doubt, I witnessed the very same attitude... The only differences between are in terms of venom, since 'pedes tend to act/behave the same, more or less = defensive, fast, bit nervous buggers.

Venom that can kill you? A bit out of proportion, now. Here is full of those Asian 'pedes bite reports and, aside the unbelievable brutal pain, none of those folks died due to that. Yes, if the bitten person is a children, may be another story. But it's always another story, at 360° in life, when it comes to childrens, elders etc

Ready availability in and of itself in no way condones a species as beginner appropriate. By that logic, the best first big lizard could be a nile monitor or green iguana, the best first fish could be an oscar or a pacu, the best first old world arboreal could be Stromatopelma calceatum or Heteroscodra maculata, and the best first indoor palm tree could be Ravenea rivularis.
The problem is that I never said something like that. I've said: You want to keep 'pedes, but you live in a nation/continent where there's available only S. subspinipes/S. dehaani (mostly, aside rare as heck like every six months or so, other species). So, what you will do, one moment... If you really want one?

It's not like when it comes to T's, where someone can really choose among an helluva of species for his/her first T's. And Europe, 'pede talking, wasn't (but I still can say isn't today) the U.S, where there's at least a couple of native species at hand, so the "ladder system", here, 'pede talking, wasn't even possible.

Availability and price are both factors when determining how suitable a species is for entry into a hobby, but they take a back seat in comparison to ease of care, temperment, potential consequences, size, and behaviour.
I know. The reason why S. subspinipes/S. dehaani in Europe are so cheap and always available isn't because those 'pedes are considered "beginner friendly", but because (since 'pedes are WC at 99%) those buggers are imported en masse for basically few Euro's from third world nations - Nations where in general no one controls and give a damn, just cash and voilà.

Something that those importers can't do with the U.S native 'pedes (more "beginner friendly") because costs of import would be much more higher and, plus, to collect those 'pedes may be a risk, since in general a lot of those areas where those 'pedes lives are protected by various gov./agencies and to collect animals from said places isn't allowed.

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Of course everyone acts always careful (and should, always, being careful) around those, but aside their venom potency, can you really say now that a S. subspinipes is a more defensive centipede than a S. cingulata, which are a native species here? Really? Another level? I doubt, I witnessed the very same attitude... The only differences between are in terms of venom, since 'pedes tend to act/behave the same, more or less = defensive, fast, bit nervous buggers.

Venom that can kill you? A bit out of proportion, now. Here is full of those Asian 'pedes bite reports and, aside the unbelievable brutal pain, none of those folks died due to that. Yes, if the bitten person is a children, may be another story. But it's always another story, at 360° in life, when it comes to childrens, elders etc
I agree, generally, with your first point, that regarding behavior, centipedes are pretty much the same. However, Scolopendra subspinipes is significantly larger than other hobby centipedes (which I would claim adds an additional level of difficulty), and as we can all agree, has significantly higher venom potency. That potency of venom is enough, in my mind, to classify this as an advanced species.
As for the mortality of the venom, it is true that the only documented case of an individual dying from a Scolopendra subspinipes bite was a 7 year old (though numerous other cases have been reported but unsubstantiated). However, the effects of such a bite can be significantly worse than "brutal pain." Please see the following NCBI report here. After describing a case of neurological damage it notes that "such morbidity is uncommon" but frankly ANY morbidity of such horrific symptoms argues for this species not being classified as one for beginners.
If you are looking to get into centipedes, maybe don't start with one of the most venomous in the world. I don't think that's radical. And, if you are determined to begin with either a Scolopendra subspinipes or a Scolopendra dehaani then PLEASE follow the example of @l4nsky and combine experience with other animals with substantial research. Both of which I don't think the OP has nearly enough of, hence my recommendation against a dehaani.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If you are looking to get into centipedes, maybe don't start with one of the most venomous in the world. I don't think that's radical. And, if you are determined to begin with either a Scolopendra subspinipes or a Scolopendra dehaani then PLEASE follow the example of @l4nsky and combine experience with other animals with substantial research. Both of which I don't think the OP has nearly enough of, hence my recommendation against a dehaani.
Make sense, and I don't disagree with that. Also, according to his/her profile info, thread starter is 16, so a minor. This means to add the responsibility part to the whole thing.

And yes, we agree that aside for the venom potency, keep 'pede species 'A' or 'pede species 'B' (like more venomous 'pedes), you will probably face the same 'pede attitude, nonetheless: So a nervous, master of escapes bugger, that require the most 'no escapes' enclosure you can provide etc a thing that doesn't happens with T's (like 'beginner friendly T's' Vs 'Obt' and such).

But, let me say that since I owned as my first 'pede a S. subspinipes (as I've said above, like many, many others keepers here in Europe due to the fact that to find different species of 'pedes than the common cheap Asians that flooded the market, were/still is rare) I also say that their defensiveness level is, often, a bit out of proportion. I don't think those are more "evil" than a S. cingulata we can find here in central/southern Europe. Again, that venom is to consider, no matter.

But in terms of care, set up to provide etc nothing particularly hardy. It's true, I had years of experience with fast, defensive, venomous T's before jumping into 'pedes, but then again, as we know, those are completely different animals - As I love to say, always, those that thinks that T's are escape artists, never owned a 'pede.

The sum of my point is that, while isn't the right choice for a total, zero experience with fast venomous inverts, beginner, if someone will always use tongs, cautions, and (first thing first) provide a no escape, bulletproof enclosure, things ends fine.

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
This is the general opinion of a lot of long time board members. It's not meant to be discouraging, but it certainly comes off that way to the uninitiated. While it's awesome that you are asking this question before making an impulse purchase and I greatly commend you for that, a lot of us are really passionate about this hobby and greatly appreciate a new user who does their due diligence in prior research. AB has been a nexus of knowledge for invert husbandry for going on two decades. A cursory glimpse of some previous posts using the search function would have revealed to you that these are a really, really bad choice as a first pede, despite their ready availability. You would have also learned that the Asian centipedes are extremely fast, ill tempered, unpredictable, highly sensitive to moisture, escape artists, and in possession of the worst venom in the centipede world (There has been one confirmed fatality and numerous hospitalizations. With no prior experience, there's a good chance you might add to these numbers). Full disclosure, my first pede was a S. dehaani. I knew what I was getting into, I had a lot of experience dealing with fast, ornery reptiles, and I knew how to keep stable husbandry parameters. The pede still died within 18 months from mycosis. A much better, much less venomous, and much hardier choice would be one of the Southwest American species like S. heros or S. polymorpha. Sadly, you probably won't find one of these in your local pet store. If you really want to enjoy the awesome predatory nature of a centipede, my suggestion would be to research one of these two species and peruse AB's classified forum and one of the specialized invert dealer's pricelist to acquire one.
I’m afraid this time i agree with the guys. I believe that availability is key for many newbies that really want a centipede and want it now!! But Asian centipedes are a big NO NO for new keepers. First of all, husbandry require high levels of adjustment to replicate their climate and diet, especially cause 99% of them is WC, that truly most of them end up with bad mycosis, bacterial infections, mites problems or hemolymph poison and die a lot younger than they should.
Second, their attitude and temperament, their are very very unpredictable, one day you’ll rub its head, the next it’ll turn around and envenomates you. They’re are really always trying to escape ...always! It is true what @Chris LXXIX said about defensive behaviour. My Cingulata subadult although its only 5” I’m telling ya has nothing to envy in attitude to the Dehaani. It’s feisty AF!! So yes all the centipedes have the same defensive instinct but... The size makes all the difference. Asian pedes are huge, bold and hungry evil monsters not to be messed with in any way or circumstances.
To close the post I’m suggesting you wait a bit and try to get something medium sized like polymorpha or heros, or even Ethmostigmus Trigonopodus or Alipes multicostis. Get your husbandry down while enjoying a nice pede anyway.