Vietnamese Centipede Burrowing

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
How often do Vietnamese centipedes emerge from their burrows? I've seen contradicting reports on their behavior, so I'm looking for clarification. I'm okay with burrowing behavior, but at the same time, I don't want a pet hole.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From my experience with them so far (a couple of months), they are pet holes.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know. I recently bought one (S.subspinipes) and so far he/she's a cricket eating machine that lives down under that cork bark. Scared the hell out of me those days because i tought that bugger managed somehow to escape, but thank God not. A week under that. He/she started to settle probably under that load of inches of substrate, who knows.

All i can say is that IMO they put a Pterinochilus murinus looks like a sort of 'Brachy'.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thank you; are there any centipedes that are not as big of holes?
Well, depends by holes & Centipede size i think.

My S.subspinipes is long like two packets of Marlboro, more or less. So definitely not an adult, nor a baby. I was concerned about their escape ability trough plastic "warps" and crevices more, because i personally drilled millimeter sized holes so an escape attempt from those it's impossible for mine.

Today i tried to pinpoint him/her since i was a bit (lol) concerned about, found the Centipede hidden under the cork bark. Pure pet hole so far.

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
I don't mean to sound rude with this, but if it's a pet hole, why do people want to own a Vietnamese centipede?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't mean to sound rude with this, but if it's a pet hole, why do people want to own a Vietnamese centipede?
Well, look at that black & somewhat gelato "orange flakes" colour mixed together. Aren't those amazing? :-s

I have one and i'm happy, even if he/she is able to scare the s-word out of me sometimes. As i've said, IMO 'Baboons' Theraphosidae are 'Brachy', in comparison.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have my two because they scare me and I find them interesting. I'm experienced in the habits of scorpions/ts/true spiders but centipedes are a complete mystery to my eyes. Also, I'm used to pet holes as my "first" arachnid pet was a P. imperator pair. They taught me patience and like music, less is more, so when I do see them out and about I appreciate it that much more.

I'm sure everyone has their own reasoning.

Last edited:

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, look at that black & somewhat gelato "orange flakes" colour mixed together. Aren't those amazing? :-s

I have one and i'm happy, even if he/she is able to scare the s-word out of me sometimes. As i've said, IMO 'Baboons' Theraphosidae are 'Brachy', in comparison.

I actually can't watch that specific video. I love geckos.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I actually can't watch that specific video. I love geckos.
Yeah, i don't like that either, man. Uh, not because i particularly like nor dislike geckos (never had nor i will to buy one, just those aren't my type of animals to care for) but because i don't like useless sufference, so no mouse/geckos etc from me i feed my inverts (always did) crickets, B.dubia, worms etc :-s

Posted because that S.subspinipes in such HD quality IMO is pure majesty to see :)

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
Thank you; I know this is not related to the title of the post, but I have two other questions. For one, how do you transport the centipede (like for routine enclosure cleaning, rehousing, and vet visits)? Second, how do you maintain soil humidity when you're away from home for a while? My idea for that is keeping a large water bowl in the terrarium and situating a dripper above it to make the bowl overflow.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thank you; I know this is not related to the title of the post, but I have two other questions. For one, how do you transport the centipede (like for routine enclosure cleaning, rehousing, and vet visits)? Second, how do you maintain soil humidity when you're away from home for a while? My idea for that is keeping a large water bowl in the terrarium and situating a dripper above it to make the bowl overflow.
Ah ah, sorry if i laugh, no 'fence man :rofl: but your "vet visits" cracked me up. Priceless!

Well, i can guarantee you that if i (lol!) would try to perform a move like that, here in Italy, all those vets (9 out of 10 are Ladies in my area, uhm... and a lot cute as hell :kiss:) would start screaming the hell out and call the Police or the Carabinieri army fellas, muahahah :angelic:

Joke asides, IMO vets & Arachnids/Centipedes doesn't mix at all. "We" are the vets, in that sense.

As far as humidity is concerned, first thing first i always love to consider where someone lives, for that on such issue, things could differ a bit (meaning, Florida weather isn't exactly Lombardy one, mere example) from area to area.

Anyway, water dish always, always full. That's a "no questions at all" about. Centipedes tend to dessicate fast, are different from T's on that.

Plus, with a syringe, or a plastic pipette, pour water directly in the substrate. I keep my Centipede on moist (lots of inches) substrate, a cork bark for hide, leaves...

For enclosure cleaning? For me work the business as usual method: long tongs, caution. My Centipede is in the final enclosure so i don't plan at all to move him/her.

Hope helps :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Yolotli

Oh, P.S

With that said, man, let me remind you again that my Centipede is able to scare the 'poop' out of me sometimes, and that's the first time in 25 years of venomous inverts that something like that happened to me. Granted, probably because, unlike for Theraphosidae, i'm literally a beginner with those, i have to take "the hand".

If you decide to go for one (brother advice) always max attention :)

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Like Chris said, vets and removal of the pede during routine maintenance is not necessary. It's also safer for you and the pede to be left alone as much as possible and not removed from their home.

For rehousing you need to be extra cautious. You'll need some safety materials.

Materials needed:

1. A bathtub with a plug in the drain

2. A big sterilite sweater box or tub

3. Temporary housing unit such as another little sterilite tub or kritter keeper

4. Long hemostats

5. New enclosure already set up and ready to close and lock

Step 1. Set the sterilite tub within the tub

Step 2. Set the new enclosure in the sterilite tub, then the temporary enclosure next to it inside the sterilite tub

Step 3. Using your hemostats, disturb the substrate surface of your pedes current enclosure to loosen it up and maybe get the pede to come out. Keeping doing that while dumping loose substrate into the big sterilite tub. If your pede comes out try to gently dump him into the temporary container. Do not try to use your hemostats to coax him out. Centipedes can run up hemostats.

Step 5. Dump your centipede into it's new enclosure and shut it.

You can skip the temporary container, I just use it to minimize the transfer of old substrate to the new enclosure and also to get a better look at my pede.

You could also skip the big sterilite tub too. I just find it easier to use in case the pede gets through to that security measure. I don't want to be chasing a centipede around the tub, it's easier to lift and dump.

Hope that helps some.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@shining , you forgot two steps.
z. Lock your pets and hysterically inclined humans in another room, or better, outside the house.
zz. Confront the paradox. You need a steady hand. No cups of coffee or Jolt colas. But you probably would benefit from a couple of espressos and a half dozen Jolts for alacrity WHEN it cuts loose, manages to climb out of the tub and heads straight at your legs.

Spiders be damned. One out wandering may try to give you a nip if you grab it. On the other paw, these truckers seem to want nothing better than to take your legs off at the knees. I was watching one yesterday. What is with this attitude? The exoskeletal equivalent of a psycho axe murderer on a rampage.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
@shining , you forgot two steps.
z. Lock your pets and hysterically inclined humans in another room, or better, outside the house.
zz. Confront the paradox. You need a steady hand. No cups of coffee or Jolt colas. But you probably would benefit from a couple of espressos and a half dozen Jolts for alacrity WHEN it cuts loose, manages to climb out of the tub and heads straight at your legs.

Spiders be damned. One out wandering may try to give you a nip if you grab it. On the other paw, these truckers seem to want nothing better than to take your legs off at the knees. I was watching one yesterday. What is with this attitude? The exoskeletal equivalent of a psycho axe murderer on a rampage.
Z. is extremely necessary.

Seriously, look at my dude here getting in all the business during my P. regalis rehousing.
IMG_4711.JPG

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I was watching one yesterday. What is with this attitude? The exoskeletal equivalent of a psycho axe murderer on a rampage.
Yes, wish to ask you to share with us something you witnessed and know about those Asian Centipedes. For instance, locals are on that sense, a bit "scared", or just like when it comes to 'Haplos', even little childrens put those in their pockets, showing that to tourists like nothing?

And, the venom... do you find possible real that rumor of a little children that died after 24H after a bite in the neck area, in the Philippines if i'm not wrong?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Yes, wish to ask you to share with us something you witnessed and know about those Asian Centipedes.
This guy I IDed as a Ethmostigmus rubripes, a little unusual here but not that rare. More often I see the Scolopendra.
Anyway the yard turned into a lake for an hour and it went for higher ground. It went across our porch moving as they seem to move so often. Not in a straight line but casting about, head and front body going side to side. Call it unscientific but like it was looking for something to chomp and I was not about to test that theory with my finger.
I got it into a dust pan and the closest description would be a sour horse spoiling for a fight. Tossing it's head and begging for something to strike at. Constantly moving and turning from side to side or even in circles.
This generally seems to be the way they all act when they have come up out of the detritus.

I don't have any info on their venom. There are rumors of course, and even the roughest toughest farmers give them a wide berth. While many will casually pick up a scorp by the tail they won't get near these truckers.

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
Idk if I should really post this here, but I can't post on the Watering Hole. My dad won't let me get another pet bug because he doesn't want to have to pay for its food and terrarium. We're not short on money by any means, by the way. However, he let my brother get a betta a while ago even though he never took care of anything his entire life. He also says that the presence of an invert in my room will make it smell bad, even though I explained to him that a foul odor means the substrate should be cleaned. Before now, my dad made me keep my scorpion outside for more than a year. I had to sneak it back into my room at night, and there hasn't been a foul odor in here because of it. Any advice on convincing him to let me get another pet is appreciated.