Vietnamese centepede

Crawly

Arachnopeon
I had one and regretfully got rid of it.

It was a very cool animal, but it was sometimes nerve-wrecking to deal with. It would strike at the tongs and paintbrush that I used to manipulate or grasp it when i had to clean its enclosure. It would also climb right up the pair of 18" tongs I used, very quick animals. A couple times it literally somersaulted towards me...SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!! They can be quite aggressive (or very aggressive), and from what I've read-possibly the most aggressive centipede available- but as with any animal its not just a matter of what species/subspecies it is, temperament varies between individuals. The venom is also considered "medically significant," so it's something that I wouldn't recommend handling.

However, it was a very hearty animal and grew to over 7" in body length before I got rid of it. It ate like a hog too!

I plan on getting another or more once I have a big enough place to house more animals.

If you're experienced with aggressive inverts I'd say give it a try. It's definitely an animal that you will remember.

Hope that helps.

There's a lot of threads on here about them.

Crawly

Arachnopeon
I'd like to note that I wasn't trying to dissuade you from getting one of that species in my previous reply. I just wanted to be upfront about how it can be unnerving at times. I really enjoyed observing it when it was active, which was often after a couple weeks from when I purchased it. And they are truly beautiful creatures.

It's just a prime example of how animals deserve as much respect as they do awe.

Xenomorph

Arachnosquire
I think the animal in the video is a Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani "Orange Leg"
or Scolopendra sub. spec. "Tiger Stripe Lost"

The attitude is actually relatively simple. But should the nervous behavior and defensive behavior in these species do not underestimate it.

SpiderGuy814

Arachnopeon
I think the animal in the video is a Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani "Orange Leg"
or Scolopendra sub. spec. "Tiger Stripe Lost"

The attitude is actually relatively simple. But should the nervous behavior and defensive behavior in these species do not underestimate it.
Ok thanks both of you for being honest and upfront that's exactly what I want to hear now instead of having a "told you so" moment in the hospital lol.

Are all centipedes as active as these kind or no?

Do yall keep pedes under regular house tempeture? how often do they deficate and is it big amounts?

Do I mist the enclosure?
For substrate what do i need?

Is this the largest one (meaning the one that gets the biggest) out of all the ones in the hobby?

And crawly is this kind you had or just something close to it.

Xenomorph

Arachnosquire
Hello, I hope you can answer the questions correctly my english is not so good.

Are all centipedes as active as these kind or no?
No, it depends heavily on the nature of the source and living habits. there are some who are like on speed and others like to sedatives.

Do yall keep pedes under regular house tempeture? how often do they deficate and is it big amounts?
I do not think directly in normal house temperature. I have all my in a heated room with me through the living room is on the average 23-26C °.

Do I mist the enclosure?
For substrate what do i need?
I mist with a flower-filled syringe. The substrate is based on the home with me. mixed by Sandy, loamy to regular potting soil with humus coconut

Is this the largest one (meaning the one that gets the biggest) out of all the ones in the hobby?
The largest species is S.galapagensis and S.gigantea.to come get those types is a different topic

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If your getting a vietnamese pede it will not look like that.. It should have brown or yellow legs like mine had.. Im use some spagnum(sp?) moss and peat to keep humidity up since they sometimes like to burrow.. Eating habit is great they could easily eat 10 crickets if hungry enough.. These are not made for handling and are very fast and can inflict a painful bite if messed with.. I kept mine in a gallon jar also with air holes for ventilation it done very well good luck!!

Crawly

Arachnopeon
I kept mine in a gallon plastic jar as well. I recommend that kind of enclosure because: (1) and most importantly it won't break if it is dropped or fall, lessening the chance of the centipede getting killed and preventing it from escaping into your home-you don't want that to happen. (2) They are large enough to meet most of the centipedes needs especially if you put enough substrate in it to allow burrowing. It is possible to purchase larger plastic jars than 1 gallon. I've attached pics of a 1 gallon and a 2.5 gallon. You may be able to find them at a local store, but if you cant check here:

http://www.organize.com/snap.

The problem with them is the snap-lids. My solution was to purchase a small aluminum sheet, cut it to fit the inside (threaded side) of the lid with a pair of metal snips, drill small holes in it, and hot-glue it.

They've worked well for me.

Attachments

SpiderGuy814

Arachnopeon
thanks too all for the added info. and links its greatly appreciated.

Did anyone/everyone get their pedes from a reputable breeder on this site if so who?

If not who is a good souce for healthy pedes?

thanks!!!!{D{D:)