vietnam black - selenocosmia - sp - ?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi any one had one what are they like to keep ? i never had one or seen one ? not with that name any one help ? - thanks ;) phil

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Selenocosmia sp., what do you want to know? Basically, its gonna be an aggressive burrowing species. If it were me, I'd keep it same as my Haplo's.

Where are you going to obtain a T labeled Selenocosmia sp. "Vietnam Black"??

Last edited by a moderator:

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive not got 1 myself but seen em for sale alot nr me but id keep like a Haplopelma sp.Moist with lots of substrate for a borrow to be made in.Oh and i think theyre pretty defensive also.Do we get a pic?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i've kept two selenocosmia javanensis for a while (for pics see the genus picture thread), and they are fairly uncomplicated. i kept the substrate slightly moist, temps around 25° c.

they are lighter coloured as slings and grow darker as they mature. on the not-so-bright-side, you seldom see them. they will burrow (deep substrate!) and web like mad, only come out in the night and are very shy and sensitive to even the slightest movement around their tanks. on the other hand, they eat like mad and have a relatively good attitude for aussis (mine never attacked or threatened but ran for it - still, i've heard of agressive specimen). plus - no hairs to flick {D.

i gave mine away because i have limited space for ts and they were real pet holes. still beautiful spiders.

Ephebopus.M

Arachnopeon
these are one of my favorite asians, i happen to be vietnamese myself LOL... they are very good burrowers and are pretty fast with an attitude to match...... other then that, thats all i can tell you because i never kept one or had the oppurtunity to get one...you are talking about haplopelma sp/vonwirthi? (or is it shmidti now?)

good day

p.s phil
if you do not like p. murinus you probably wouldnt want any thing to do with the viet blacks i hear they are real helldoggs.. lol.....

Last edited:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Doing a quick google the one's beening sold online in the UK right now as Selenocosmia sp "Vietnam Black" look like H. vonwirthi at least on the sites with pictures.