videos: gigeanta robusta/viridicoris eating mice

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mister Internet said:
Well put...

You know, you can shove a dog's nose it its own crap, but you can't make a dog believe you actually just shoved its nose in its own crap. If it doesn't want to believe that you just shoved its nose in its own crap, all you can do is rest secure in the knowledge that you did everything you could do to alert the dog to the existence of its crap.

And of course, laugh at the stupid dog with crap all over its nose...
Hehe, that's what makes it kind of interesting to read what people think about it and that's why the "stuff" keeps coming. Here's something else. I have watched many centipedes kill their prey. I believe they don't always use their venom. From the way I have seen prey behave while being consumed, I think the centipede makes a "judgment call" on whether or not to use a good dose of venom. When they are very hungry, it looks like it's all out to me. Kill and eat. But when it's not really necessary, I think there is more control over the amount of venom they use. I think they use venom preservation to ration their potency to kill and protect themselves. I see crickets halfway eaten that are still kicking. Then I will see an instant kill. Speculation. A 100% guess but that's how it looks to me. So yea, I think a pinkie still wriggling is feeling allot of pain. The centipede doesn't feel a need to use it's venom. It's not a threat to the centipede. I think it senses that. I'm just guessing from what I watch. Just some thoughts. Hehehe, this dog just won't learn!

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorp_Lver said:
maybe he DID do it for amusement,
just to quote myself from earlier posts:

szappan said:
And "no", I never once took some sort of morbid pleasure in feeding them live mice. As a matter of fact, as a staunch animal lover, I always felt extremely guilty about it. But was I impressed by the centipede's instinct and ferocity? – yes, absolutely.
szappan said:
The same way I don't get any pleasure feeding them crickets – aside from knowing that they are healthy and getting the nourishment they need... I wasn't doing it out of curiosity, or fun, or "jollies", or filming, or science "Invertebrate VS Vertebrate Gladiators" or any other reason some people have wrongly assumed.
Thank you, all the best. :)

Galapoheros, about centipedes varying the amount of venom they use, from my observations, I've come to the exact same conclusions you have – 100%.

Feri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't like to feed live pray to my scolopendras. The reason is the same as mentioned by someone on this thread: in nature pray animals always have the chance to get away. And I think, roaches feel pain too. I always crush and remove their head in no time before I feed them to my scolo's. Roaches move all around without their head for a long. But live food is not a need, my scol's sometimes eat raw meat too. And dead mice have the same nutritional value as live ones. And it is safer for the scolo' too (no chance of being hurted by the pray).
Feri

Prometheusmum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the videos are rather interesting, would I ever feed my critters live mice? Probably not, but being rude to someone who does doesnt achieve anything.