videos: gigeanta robusta/viridicoris eating mice

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think both videos make it quite obvious how dangerous it can be to feed grown mice to inverts. The mouse could have easily harmed either pede.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow

Wow...mine will never eat anything that big but i do see some danger in feeding something like that to a pede.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
deathrattle said:
Why did you do that? Seriously, what did you achieve in doing it? Theres no reason for you to feed your pede a mouse, its just cruel. The mouse feels pain, it felt its death. Crickets don't. Don't use the line "it happens in nature" because its nothing like what happens in nature. The mouse was in an enclosed space, it was never going to escape, there was only 1 way that was going to end... Nothing like whats natural.

I wonder if the saying what goes around comes around is true?

dirtborder4life

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
vid

I thought they were great videos:clap: It would be dangerous if he fed an adult mouse to a 5 inch polymorpha,but this is a big gigantea/viridicoris.It's his choice what to feed his inverts anyway,and do you really think you telling him how much you dissaprove of it,is going to make him stop feeding mice?:confused:

Last edited:

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dirtborder4life said:
do you really think you telling him how much you dissaprove of it,is going to make him stop feeding mice?:confused:
Probably not, but it may make other people stop and think before being wantonly cruel.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dang those are awesomeeee!! i wish i could have pedes that big!!

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hmm, dirtboarder, you are very correct. scorpdude, why couldnt you just watch the video and not complain? sorry, but ive seen tons of feeding videos and scorpdude, what makes you think crickets feal no pain at all? and when my subspinipes gets big enough I will feed it mice. sorry scorp, im not trying to make you mad or anything, just understand that people feed mice to inverts everyday, and so do i, there isnt really anyway to stop it so why not just let it go?

Jimmy James

Arachnopeon
nightbreed said:
Probably not, but it may make other people stop and think before being wantonly cruel.
People feed these to snakes, lizards, and frogs. These were bred for food. It is no more cruel than feeding a cricket to a lizard.

And it is good to feed things a variety. Mice would have different nutrients than insects. And centipedes will eat them in the wild, so it's not like they're feeding it things it shouldn't necessarily eat.

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jimmy James said:
People feed these to snakes, lizards, and frogs. These were bred for food. It is no more cruel than feeding a cricket to a lizard.
I'm well aware that people feed mice to their pets I keep snakes myself, but somehow I manage to make sure the mice/rats are dead before I chuck them in.
No more cruel than feeding a cricket huh? Except for that pesky little fact that rodents feel pain and crickets don't.

Jimmy James

Arachnopeon
No, crickets feel pain. And a lot of times things won't take dead food, and you're lucky to have a snake/lizard/frog that eats pre-killed.

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jimmy James said:
No, crickets feel pain.
Um, no they don't, they have a very primitive ganglion which means they can't feel pain, they don't have the necessary hardware.
Jimmy James said:
And a lot of times things won't take dead food, and you're lucky to have a snake/lizard/frog that eats pre-killed.
I've yet to own a snake that doesn't take dead food, I even have T's that will eat frozen thawed.
If - for arguments sake - you have an animal that will absolutely not eat anything but live verts then cool feed it live mice you wont hear any arguments from me, but many people keep pedes successfully without any verts in their diet, so they are hardly a necessity are they?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Scorp_Lver said:
h scorpdude, why couldnt you just watch the video and not complain?

Why should he not be able to voice his opinion? it is a public forum, he can voice his opinion the same way you can.

Why do YOU have to support the assinine and unnecessary feeding of vertebrate animals to invertebrates, just asking? :wall:

Mori

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At the pet stores around here, it's hard to find something bigger than crickets to feed larger inverts.

Sure, they have madigascar hissing cockroaches for $2 apeice, but when mice are cheaper why not?

If you're gonna be keeping inverts, then at least make the contacts for the correct size feeder roach. No sense risking two $400+ centipedes for a meal :embarrassed:

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
ScorpDude said:
Why did you do that? Seriously, what did you achieve in doing it? Theres no reason for you to feed your pede a mouse, its just cruel. The mouse feels pain, it felt its death. Crickets don't. Don't use the line "it happens in nature" because its nothing like what happens in nature. The mouse was in an enclosed space, it was never going to escape, there was only 1 way that was going to end... Nothing like whats natural.
I wonder if the saying what goes around comes around is true?
Yawn, please please go read up on the voluminous threads on Pain.
Dont go stating it doesnt happen in nature, because I am quite sure it can and does...Did you know Avics eat bats? (Noooo that cant happen in nature :rolleyes: )

moricollins said:
Why should he not be able to voice his opinion? it is a public forum, he can voice his opinion the same way you can.

Why do YOU have to support the assinine and unnecessary feeding of vertebrate animals to invertebrates, just asking? :wall:

Mori
Dont let your human emotions get in your way here...You feed live things to other things, that kill them slowly, that is nature..

Otherwise, AMAZING videos!

Fierce Deity

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crickets do not feel pain, mice do. Crickets do not have a nervous system advanced enough to feel complex things like that. Do reasearch before you argue against something.
But as for the feeding of mice to a centipede:
I'm sure the centipede wont care if it is fed crickets or mice. So why would you risk the life of your centipede to feed it something completely unnecessary? I have heard many stories of people loosing inverts to mice for stupid reasons. All it has to do is get one good swipe or bite, break through the exoskeleton, and say goodbye to your pet and the money spent on it.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Awesome video

I feed mice to my gator, occasionally my T's, and if I still had the beast my x-pede. Thats some great footage, one of top i've seen of pede videos for sure. The mouse was bred to die, so were the animals most of us consumed today. It is risky as heck to put any sized mouse with an invert, the mouse does feel pain, it suffers, but I still like watching thins eat mice. Everytime a video's posted it get slammed, manytime deservedly though i must admit but its beating a dead "mouse" to me.....;)