Video - wolf spider performs a backflip

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
And the goal keeper gets to keep the ball! YES!:clap:

I once saw a wolfy tackle a huge horsefly a little larger than itself. The battle raged all over the driveway in true old style Rugby play. Lycos are definitely the sports fanatics of the spider world.

Last edited:

davisfam

Arachnoknight
NICE! :D

- We have a video of one of our H. lenta's pulling a move much like the specimen does in your video, it's soo neat how aggressive Wolfiies are! Congrats on catching this on video, I'd upload ours as well but it's located on a cell phone and for some reason, we can't get it to upload onto a computer! Thanks again for sharing! :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are interesting to watch. I was watching one get close to it's prey today. I could tell it knew the cricket was there. It also learned after a few failed attempts that it had to sneak up on it. It's amazing to me. It was patient, like a cat. Then WHAM!, it jumped on it, too bad I don't have a good vid camera.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi, what Hogna is your Wolf? Or am I mistaken altogether? :8o

Thanks,

S.

PS- cool vid! Wolfs are great at catching prey!

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I once had a centipede do that. I also had a P. audax grab a fly from underneath and get a ride;P. The fly was flying for quite a while before it died.

--Dan

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
davisfam: "We have a video of one of our H. lenta's pulling a move much like the specimen does in your video...I'd upload ours as well but it's located on a cell phone and for some reason, we can't get it to upload onto a computer! Thanks again for sharing!"

Oh cool. Interesting that wolfies aren't the only acrobats in the spider world. Ah I share your frustrations about the cell phone dilemma. I have some images that I would like to upload from a mobile phone but I'm not sure if there's much hope in that.

Silberrücken: "Hi, what Hogna is your Wolf?"

It would be either Lycosa godeffroyi or Lycosa leuckartii. Both these species have identical markings and I believe the only (small) difference can be found on the underside of the spider.

dannyboypede: "once had a centipede do that."

Gee, that would be something to see - a centipede doing a backlip.

dannyboypede: "also had a P. audax grab a fly from underneath and get a ride. The fly was flying for quite a while before it died."

Woah! Lift off! That would have been one heck of a ride!