Video about treating spider phobia

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
I think it's a little dangerous for the tarantulas, for a second there I thought the lady flung the smaller T.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Education, education, education, some more education, then careful exposure. That's what helped my husband! I was never as scared as he was, but I was not a fan of spiders either. Except jumpers. I've liked them for a long time. And black and yellow garden spiders. (Don't remember what they're called.)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
She is way too scared to be at the point of touching, in my opinion. There would need to be lots of work done prior to this before I would let someone, as scared as this woman was, actually come in physical contact with one.
I thought she had flung the smaller spider too. I'm glad someone else commented that she hadn't.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Thanks guys. I agree with all of this. I spend a long time talking about spiders, looking at videos, etc before ever introducing someone to a live spider. I thought this video was odd and from an exposure treatment standpoint, not very effective because her fear was so high and the actual exposure was so short. The spider guy didn't seem concerned, Kind of odd.

Thanks for the responses.

My boyfriend is completely terrified of spiders and scorpions, but after a long time listening to me rant on about their amazing behavior and relative harmlessness he let me introduce him to a couple of them. No handling involved, but he managed to get up close with the scorps and amblypygids without too much hesitation, but he also said he found them more "crustacean-like" than "arachnid-y". When I tried to pull out my G. porteri, however, he wouldn't even look in it's direction :(
Baby steps I guess...