Vet recomends revolution for my cat - concerned about Ts...

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is really long so I have found I need to preface this... If you have NEVER used this product or a similar one ... and just have an opinion - please don't post. I know someone is going to say something like "why take a chance"

that's not what I want here. I want real experences similar to mine and what happened. (I can't be the only person with cats/dogs and Ts that has run into this) Ok now on to the post:

Hi. One of my cats has scabs on his body. It's been going on for months now. I won't go into the long story but even though my other two cats don't have them... and I'm not being bitten... my vet wants me to try revolution which is a mite/flea killer on him first before we go into food trials (if he devloped a food alergy.)

I expressed concern about my Ts and she researched it and got back to me (in the evening yet.) she told me as long as the cat is not sitting on the cage and sheding into it ... that I should be fine. 1 or 2 hairs with this stuff on it shouldn't harm the T.

Now... background... this is what I have. 1 year ago I bought a baby rosehair. I have sience bought 3 other spiders... 2 - another rose hair and a bohemi are also babys. they are all about 1" to 1.25" now. They reside in sugar shaker containers on my entertainment system... where the cats can't get them

I feed once a week by takeing them into the bathroom along with a container of crix approprately sized. I open the containers... put in three crix and spray one side with water (the two rose hairs have burrows anyway)

that's it. so low chance of contamination from stray fur.

The other spider I have is a pulchra (btw parden my spelling I'm horrible and don't feel like looking up the names right now)

You may remember my posts in late oct. I purchased her in november. She is three inchs... very pretty and very very sweet. (I can "hand" her crix with a tweeser)

she is in a 6x6 cd case that I melted breathin holes in along the sides. the holes are about .25" that cage is in a 10 gal aquareum which is on the floor.

Orange - the cat - may jmp on that sometimes but he doesn't lay on it.

As with the others I just feed her once a week... the crix container is in the 10 gal as well so I do everythi right there... she stays in her cage but if she didn't she'd just end up in the 10 gal.

I do not handle.

My main concern is stray "revolutionized" (so to speak) hairs that may accdently get in the cage.

I'm in a one bedroom one bath place so ... no quarenteen room.

The question I have for people who have used this product ... or similar products where the amount is placed on the neck of the animal - have you had T's die?

Have you had a dog/cat that has been treated that basicatly is allowed in the vicenity of the T cages and how did that work out for you? No problems? Or T death?

Also if your a VET (or vet tech etc ) that deals with T's what is your experence?

Bottom line... though I'll take every precaution I can... washing hands ... covering the cage etc.... I want to know ... how much exposure can a T handle of this stuff? (I don't think anymore then trace amounts will make it to the cage - if that.)

THANKS!

- Sharon

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
on neck of cat

I live in a trailer with 3 cats, one dog, and 12 Ts. The cats and dog get the recommended treatment of the drop from a similar brand squeezed onto the neck and rubbed in. The dog and cats come and go in/out of my T room freely, sometimes immediately after the treatment (as the cats will usually run around a little bit directly after). I have had no problems at all for several years now. I cant see that it would pose a health problem for Ts as long as the cat isnt shedding hair directly into the Ts enclosure right after being treated, and even then I think it would be minimal risk. These products arent like an aerosol or bug-bomb where the product gets dispersed thru the air, it stays on the cat/dog.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live in a trailer with 3 cats, one dog, and 12 Ts. The cats and dog get the recommended treatment of the drop from a similar brand squeezed onto the neck and rubbed in. The dog and cats come and go in/out of my T room freely, sometimes immediately after the treatment (as the cats will usually run around a little bit directly after). I have had no problems at all for several years now. I cant see that it would pose a health problem for Ts as long as the cat isnt shedding hair directly into the Ts enclosure right after being treated, and even then I think it would be minimal risk. These products arent like an aerosol or bug-bomb where the product gets dispersed thru the air, it stays on the cat/dog.
wow... lol I think this is exactly what I was looking for in a responce... and quickly to. Thanks.

What I most likely will do is treat him in the bedroom... he will most likely at that point go under the bed.... I'll just keep him there until I'm sure the stuff has worked it's way through the fur and isn't going to rub off easly.

And I'll wash my hands of course.

I really should post new pics... I got a better digital and have much better picks of my little guys as well as the new T.

- Sharon

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm under the impression that these " flea killers " are not only species specific by not letting fleas mature through the whole lifecycle, but also work as a systemic pesticide within the blood ONLY of the cat or dog. So as long as your T's aren't feeding on your pets, the T would have NO exposure. If your T did chomp your cat; Your T's aren't fleas so they shoud have no effect ... You're good to go !

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I personally wouldn't worry about it. The chances of your spiders coming into contact with it are slim to none. No need to isolate your cat after application.

Or you could just shave the cat.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have 4 cats and a dog in a 1 bedroom apartment, along with 14 scorpions and 62 tarantulas. i have never had any problems as a result of treating my pets for ticks/fleas (revolution, advantix, etc, even flea bath shampoos). :)

feel free to take precautions, but i have cats who sleep on top of tarantula tanks and sun bathe under scorpion heat lamps.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have used a similar product on the dog, with no adverse effects. As a precaution though, I would recommend wearing gloves when you apply it to your cat, just to be sure there is no way your t's will come into contact with it.