very thin abdomen?

kmhvmh

Arachnopeon
was at an expo today and every sling/juvie this guy had, had extremely small abdomens. any one know why? are they sick or malnourished?

Devin B

Arachnobaron
How small where they compared to the carapace? If it was significantly smaller than the carapace then that would raise some red flags if you ask me.

cold blood

Staff member
Ts are always thin after molting...they just need food. Slings could have been fresh 2i...which would also be quite thin.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Could be. Slings also have small abdomen after they molt, especially the fast growing ones, IME. But I doubt that all this guy's slings and juveniles all molted at the same time. I think it is good practice if vendors properly feed their tarantulas before selling them, so it could indeed be a questionable seller.

kmhvmh

Arachnopeon
Agreed. But since the OP mentions that both slings and juvies have small abdomen something else maybe happening here.
I feel like sellers bring their weak or sick animals to expos. I've heard a lot of horror stories about purchases from expos

cold blood

Staff member
I feel like sellers bring their weak or sick animals to expos. I've heard a lot of horror stories about purchases from expos
i doubt it...I see a small abdomen as no concern...shriveled is where y'all should be concerned. I mean really, do you think they were diseased....no experiemced keeper would worry about a small abdomen unless combined with other factors, like the aformentioned shriveling.

Ts dont get sick like mammals do.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Ts are always thin after molting...they just need food. Slings could have been fresh 2i...which would also be quite thin.
It seems suspicious that every tarantula the guy was selling would have an extremely small abdomen including the juvies. Wouldnt that raise a red flag

cold blood

Staff member
How small where they compared to the carapace? If it was significantly smaller than the carapace then that would raise some red flags if you ask me.
By that logic every freshly molted or hatched t would be a red flag for you. You should see a freshly hatched or molted P. cam or irminia sling...lol, their abdomens are thinner than you can even imagine....food is an easy fix for thin.

cold blood

Staff member
It seems suspicious that every tarantula the guy was selling would have an extremely small abdomen including the juvies. Wouldnt that raise a red flag
no...it would take a lot more than just that.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
By that logic every freshly molted or hatched t would be a red flag for you. You should see a freshly hatched or molted P. cam or irminia sling...lol, their abdomens are thinner than you can even imagine....food is an easy fix for thin.
Ok I understand what your saying. Every time one of my T's went through molt (which has only been 6 molts in total, so not much experience) their abdomen has only been slightly smaller then the carapace not extremely. I now understand that a shriveled abdomen is a red flag.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
no...it would take a lot more than just that.
After rereading I realized that it may have seemed like I was trying to argue with you. I wanted to let you know that I wasnt trying to do that and I would like to apologize for any negative tone that was in my responses.

cold blood

Staff member
Ok I understand what your saying. Every time one of my T's went through molt (which has only been 6 molts in total, so not much experience) their abdomen has only been slightly smaller then the carapace not extremely. I now understand that a shriveled abdomen is a red flag.
yeah, and a really fat t also comes through a molt much heavier...but the ts gotta be pretty tubby....this is an example of that...but with younger and faster growers its pretty uncommon...thin is a normal part of every ts life generally.

But keep in mind that many breeders with large numbers of ts to sell will naturally be feeding a lot less often than someone doting on a handful of them....a slow feeding schedule wont have a negative effect on the t its self.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
After rereading I realized that it may have seemed like I was trying to argue with you. I wanted to let you know that I wasnt trying to do that and I would like to apologize for any negative tone that was in my responses.
No worries, its just a discussion...absolutely no reason to apologize. I didnt sense anything negative or argumentative in the least.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
No worries, its just a discussion...absolutely no reason to apologize. I didnt sense anything negative or argumentative in the least.
Ok Im glad because if not for this conversation I would probably post a thread in the future about a small abdomen lol.