VERY Stupid Question

drgonzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone have a good trick to snapping taracoa(sp)pots into two usable pieces :wall:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I only tried once. I bought 3 pots, went home and broke all 3 of them into unusable pieces then went back out and bought some grapewood.

There must be some special kung fu technique for this...

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you just make the substrated deep enough so you can half-bury it without breaking it?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have done three usable pieces, but not a perfect chop in two

i did three pieces by using a knife to stab the pot to break it. needless to day, becareful if you try such a tactic

i do believe i shattered a couple before i got the tech down enough to get a good half piece and two decent sized other pieces

i bury the scraps into centipede and other burrower cages so as to give the substrate some substructure

patexan

Arachnopeon
A dremel tool with a cutoff wheel should do it, but I agree with the earlier post, bury half of the pot in the substrate.

siderdude

Arachnopeon
You can buy a masonry blade for a standard circular saw and that works great , just watch your fingers and take it slow.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd ask the guy at the store if he has any broken pots. You may even get a discount.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With terra cotta pots you can saw them in half with a hacksaw, or cut them with a dremel. They still can break though. They aren't very expensive. I would just buy them and half bury them.

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First, let me say that I don't think that it is a dumb question. Just some one looking for a good answer. I crossed this bridge once and found that a hack saw with a good blade, fine tooth, will work well. The result was two almost perfect halves. I must also say that I will never do this again. Find something else that will work. Those things come in plastic also.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A word of caution here ~ terracotta pots and even plastic pots to a lesser degree, can have extremely sharp edges once cut/kung-fu'd, etc, so don't forget to file or sand the edges and resultant corners. :razz:

I don't advocate using a whole pot with half of it buried for all species. Some are too big and will dig down to the 'other side' of the pot....and then what? Just a thought... ;)

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pinkfoot: "Some are too big and will dig down to the 'other side' of the pot....and then what?"

I guess they'll turn around...!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've found that i get more enjoyment out of setting up an enclosure around an interesting piece of wood. It looks more natural and i get to be more creative.

Grapewood for dry t's, cork for wet ones.