Very sick Tarantula! Help!

BeccaB

Arachnopeon
Hi All!
I am a mommy to a very sick rose haired T. It started a couple of weeks ago as what I now recognize to be Dyskinetic Syndrome. My husband and I noticed her strange behavior and monitored closely. She has molted within the last six months, so we knew it shouldnt be that. But when she flipped onto her back two nights ago, we were shocked and happily surprised that the strange behavior was just typical rose hair behavior. However the next morning, she was still on her back...And was still on her back 24 hours after the initial flip, with no sign of any molt happening. She was wriggling around like she had in previous molts (she is about 7 yrs old), but she has never taken more than an overnight to complete the molt.

After another day went by without any sign of molt, I began to get worried that she might be stuck on her back, to I flipped her back over (I know...#1 no no). She appeared normal! No evidence of any molt at all! She essentially had layed on her back for 2 days and didnt molt at all. She stayed upright for about 5 minutes, then flipped herself onto her back again. I left her that way, and that is the way she is right now.

I did some research, and after seeing the DKS videos on youtube, there is no doubt that is what she is suffering from, but I was only able to find one post on a yahoo message board about a T that was suffering from DKS symptoms AND flipped onto its back too. I was unable to contact that owner.

My little T (Mischief is her name) seems to be suffering terribly. It now appears that she is dripping venom onto herself. Because she is on her back, it is all over her "belly". I feel so incredibly helpless, and heartbroken. Is there anything I can do? I really couldnt have asked for a better pet. She has been a wonderful companion, and she doesnt deserve this punishment.

I welcome and appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Den

Arachnosquire
I don't know much about helping injured T's, but I have heard about DKS. But the flipping is abnormal to what I know. I hope she gets better.;) I completely understant your pain, I would be devastated if this hapened to my Rosea!

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I've never heard of them flipping. I hope she gets better for you!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you certain it is venom and not hemolymph? This doesn't sound like DKS at all IMO but rather she's struggling to molt and is stuck.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you certain it is venom and not hemolymph? This doesn't sound like DKS at all IMO but rather she's struggling to molt and is stuck.
I agree. It sounds like maybe she's having a wet molt... I personally have no experience with it, but I know there are others who may be able to offer suggestions.

For now, just leave her be. Make sure the humidity is reasonable, and keep her warm.

BeccaB

Arachnopeon
I dont think that it is a molt. Nothing about her body has changed. She molted in August. The liquid that she is excreting is has puddled on her abdomen now, and I am so worried that she is choking on it. I am going to end up giving in and rolling her over, but I am trying so hard not to. She is twitching slightly now...like pulsing with her back legs. I actually am not sure if she is alive or not. Any disturbance of her tank causes her to go into her DKS spasms, and I dont want her to do that with all of that milky liquid on her for fear of her choking (if she isnt already).
So right now she is on her back with her legs curled in a semi death grip, with a large puddle of milky white liquid around her fang area.
Its not looking good...My heart is broken that she is suffering in such a way. I have a tarantula book that says that if all hope is lost and they are suffering terribly to put them in the freezer and they will just go to sleep. Does anyone recommend this course of action? It will tear my heart out, but if it would be better for her, then I will have to not be selfish.
Thoughts?

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont think that it is a molt. Nothing about her body has changed. She molted in August. The liquid that she is excreting is has puddled on her abdomen now, and I am so worried that she is choking on it. I am going to end up giving in and rolling her over, but I am trying so hard not to. She is twitching slightly now...like pulsing with her back legs. I actually am not sure if she is alive or not. Any disturbance of her tank causes her to go into her DKS spasms, and I dont want her to do that with all of that milky liquid on her for fear of her choking (if she isnt already).
So right now she is on her back with her legs curled in a semi death grip, with a large puddle of milky white liquid around her fang area.
Its not looking good...My heart is broken that she is suffering in such a way. I have a tarantula book that says that if all hope is lost and they are suffering terribly to put them in the freezer and they will just go to sleep. Does anyone recommend this course of action? It will tear my heart out, but if it would be better for her, then I will have to not be selfish.
Thoughts?
Tarantulas cannot choke, so no need to worry about that.

It is possible that she could suffocate, but only if the liquid obstructs her book lungs for an extended period of time.

BeccaB

Arachnopeon
Ive had her for 6 years and she was about 2 inches across (tip to tip) when I bought her.

BeccaB

Arachnopeon
It didnt have a bulb on its front leg like a male would after several molts, so I assumed it was a girl

BeccaB

Arachnopeon
There doesnt appear to be hooks...I have never noticed hooks before, and I have examined all of the molts. Why? what are you thinking?
She is one her back now, and in a death grip, so I cant see her legs clearly...she is twitching slightly. I assme she has passed away, but i dont want to move her if she isnt gone yet because I want it to he as peaceful as possible for her.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There doesnt appear to be hooks...I have never noticed hooks before, and I have examined all of the molts. Why? what are you thinking?
She is one her back now, and in a death grip, so I cant see her legs clearly...she is twitching slightly. I assme she has passed away, but i dont want to move her if she isnt gone yet because I want it to he as peaceful as possible for her.
Hooks only appear after an ultimate molt, so they don't have them their whole life. Search for "mature male".

I don't know what's going on, but I was trying to rule out it being a mature male. If there aren't any hooks and the pedipalps aren't balled up and looking like boxing gloves, then it isn't one.

Hope it pulls through. Good luck.

BeccaB

Arachnopeon
She was exibiting the DKS symptoms for weeks...spastic, staggering, almost summersaulting when disturbed or misted...but why would she insist on being on her back, when she wasnt molting? and why the liquid? is venom a milky white liquid?

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Check the liquid for maggots. Check her fangs and the surrounding area for maggots as well. We can explore other options when you eliminate that. You can email me for more expediency at crowsarachnids@live.com.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since the liquid is milky and not clear, I believe that rules out it being venom or saliva. Haemolymph can be described as milky. Also like Crows said, it could just be a clear liquid containing many white worms and that is what is giving it the color. If the T is still moving, then it is still alive and until you smell something foul you should assume as much. Pictures or video of your T would help the more experienced on here to offer their opinions, if it is possible to get either.

Putting a T in the freezer is a personal choice, because it is to end your suffering, not the T's. If it is in fact dying, whether it goes by cold or in its home is up to you. The T is not suffering in the human sense of the word, but it can be heartbreaking to watch. I personally would never put a T in the freezer, but would leave it in its comfortable and familiar surroundings instead of stressing it by moving it.

Good luck and I hope your pet pulls through.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This sounds exactly like what my H. mac went through: herky jerky movements, seemed to try to run in place, but then progressed into convulsing on her back spewing liquid from her mouth. She didn't last but a day or so when she got to that point. I'm sorry you have to experience it, its really heartbreaking to see any animal in that sort of state :(

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has there been an exposure of any type to any chemicals? Pesticides from your hands from other pets? Feeders doing OK? Spray paint? Organic solvents? Anything?

Have you tried a dark, warm ICU treatment? Hydration or fewer stimuli may allow it to metabolize whatever is wrong with it.

Have you checked for "nematodes" and read about the symptoms there?

BeccaB

Arachnopeon
I am so thankful for all the support and advice I have received from everyone. Last night before I went to bed, my T had curled into a death grip on her back and was twitching slightly (like pulsing). This morning there was no movement, but I didnt disturb her. I figured if she wasnt dead, I didnt want to stress her in her final hours. When I got home from work this evening, she was in the same position as when I left her this morning. Assuming she was passed on, I slid the tank slightly to create a vibration and test her reaction. She moved, but very slightly and very slowly. She is still hanging on, but now only moves when disturbed. Otherwise, she remains on her back in a death grip position.
In response to the comments about the liquid she is expelling, because she has curled up, I have no way of getting at it now to examine it for worms, etc...I wouldnt want to cause her added stress anyway by unfurling her legs. She is not long for the world, and I am heartbroken. I couldnt have asked for a better pet. My first T :)