Very old G pulchra mature male

NChromatus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all. I haven't posted here in forever and I haven't been nearly as involved in tarantulas in recent years as I previously had been but I still maintain a small collection and I have a tidbit of anecdotal data that some may be interested in hearing.

I don't know if people hear about this occurring that often, but I have a mature male G pulchra that's currently still kicking at over 4 years past hooking out. His mature molt occurred in early 2017. I seem to recall that a long-lived mature male might only live about 2 years. Oddly enough, though I've had hundreds of tarantulas in my life, this particular tarantula was the first one I ever got. Maybe he's hanging on for sentimentality.

He's pretty skinny-looking now. I only feed him and the rest of my tarantulas about once every three weeks. But he's still alive. He hasn't tried to molt again.

If anyone is interested in hearing more or would like pictures, let me know.

NChromatus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow that's amazing!

"I'd like a female because the males don't live very long" 🙄
Yeah, G pulchras are really just incredible all-around spiders, including the slow growth and longer lives. My personal favorites, I think.

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
That is so awesome to hear. So now everyone who whines and complains about having a male can stop lol.

Didn’t catch that it was already penultimate. If so, maybe still 3-5 years left depending on environment
I’m not sure if you misread everything or just misinformed. The spider is already mature. If the spider was penultimate, that would mean the spider would not be mature and still need another molt. If the spider is already 4 years and hooked out, it is definitely not going to live another 5 years.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
That is so awesome to hear. So now everyone who whines and complains about having a male can stop lol.

I’m not sure if you misread everything or just misinformed. The spider is already mature. If the spider was penultimate, that would mean the spider would not be mature and still need another molt. If the spider is already 4 years and hooked out, it is definitely not going to live another 5 years.
Actually you misread what I said. A penultimate G pulchra can live around 5 years after molting. Sorry for not clarifying.

NChromatus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Update: He's still kickin'. Literally. He wasn't pleased about me feeding him tonight.

cold blood

Staff member
Most MMs die early because they require more specialized care....lots of water and a safe environment.....but MMs certainly can live longer than most give them credit for. I had an LP, which is a significantly faster growing and shorter-lived species, live 4 years post maturity and an LD make it over 3 years.

EvilTrailMix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Love hearing about the longer lived boys. My oldest was an M. balfouri that lived over 4.5 years after maturing. Faster growing species, so he really surprised me.