Very nice wolf.

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Found this awsome spider today crawling across my floor. Probably the largest spider i have ever seen here in CT. (That ruler is in cm)

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
cool

That's a very nice wolf spider. are you keeping it?
I see wold spiders runing around time by time do they have a hot bite?
any ways have a nice day
geo

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's a very nice spider but it's not a wolf, it's a fishing spider, Dolomedes tenebrosus.

There's a couple other threads going about these guys. It's probably the biggest spider in most of the non-tarantula states.

Wade

Last edited:

Love to Foxtrot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
does that mean...

that we have tarantulas in North-Eastern Kansas? I ask because I regularly see massive spiders that I thought were wolf spiders in the fall. They have to be at least a few inches across, darkish coloration(I see them primarily at night), and hairy! I love to watch these spiders as they do not seem to be too terribly aggressive and I love large spiders. I've even had some wolf spiders in my bedroom that are at least 2 inches across. Of course I relocate these outside. We also have a proliferation of Jumping Spiders in the spring and summer which remain in my house for all their lives. Anyway, could what I have been seeing be tarantulas? If so, what species? Aubrey

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Being west of the Mississippi, you might have tarantulas, but I don't know if they occur that far north or not (anybody know?). If you are seeing tarantulas, ambling accross the road and fields, they're males, on the hunt for females. The famales live in burrows.

The genus is more than likely Aphonopelma.

Wade

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i actually heard recently that Wolf spiders have necrotic venom. if so, that's not very pleasant. :(