Very Cool Cyclocosmia sp

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
males

Neat spiders!
If I ever get down to Florida I'd love to try and find some Cyclocosmia torreya!
Good luck breeding them over there Ken!I'd love to see an image of a mature male if you have any.
-Chris
Unfortunately none seem to be mature yet thats why I fear they are all females. Have not gone through them all with a fine comb yet though ;)

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Ron Billingsly had them at our taylor show here in Michigan...heoffered them up at a dealer price [secret] and a consumer price of 70

PsychoSpider

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Show was in Manchester NH. Sorry, don't know the name of the dealer, was one of the larger ones there. Did mostly reptiles, inverts where largely typical WC imports with typical common names...

Bill
I was their also,the thing looked cool.Sry for being off topic, but I had to.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome trapdoors

Hey Ken, well I see you got some in finally! The same time I asked if you could get any about a month and a half ago, I asked Josh at Outback Reptiles and they just got some in last week as well. REAL nice healthy looking specimens, so if you are looking for any more you could give them a call and see if they have any left. I'm sure they still have quite a few, they were a little on the pricey side! Good luck with these guys, it would be fantastic to see some American cb slings. I have a friend in the Guang Xi province, who was telling me that when a group of these are located they get extirpated due to overcollecting pretty quickly!

mitchnast

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, that does it, i'm going to have to be extra good and ask santa for a , occult-label ribbed-buttplug trapdoor spider.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
observations

I've recently obtained some of these as well. Unfortunately 2 of mine came in DOA, but it gave me the opportunity to get a close look at them. I havent had time to count the ribs, and I've only skimmed the paper ( thanks for providing that Ken) as Im just getting to taking pics of them. Although I have noticed a difference in the 2 DOA's that I have. I believe all the spiders I have are females as well.

The largest one that came in (DOA) has a flat abdominal disc, as the other 3 I have it protrudes. Since all these spiders are wild caught its unclear if the shape changes as they grow older. ( but I have my doubts )

Heres some pics for comparison...

Another angle

larger "flat"

smaller "protruding"

Later, Tom

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yet, I would say these last two were both C. latusicosta, the elevation of the "butt" may be due to many factors, age, molt proximity, food in gut.
They both seem to have the extra bump inside of the top muscle attachements.

Interestingly enogh Ken, I'd say you are going to have a hard time breeding C. ricketti?, according to the key, no males are known :p, either not been found, or could be parthenogenetic... unlikely, but oh well, just going to have to raise them, hope for a sac, raise the slings given you do get a sac, get ne of those to produce a sac for you... would be really cool though ;)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, nature is amazing! At first glance they would look fake. Surprising such anatomy can exist. Wonder how different they are internally..

(begins some searching around for Cyclocosmia via Google)

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow! very interesting spiders:clap: hmmm.....i wanna get some of these.

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello,
I agree with Balam, Toms pics could be the same C. lat and not C rik

I got 6 of them and only one with the flatter pattern, it died a couple days later.

I think mine are C lats, I am just going by the concave and convexe ID.

regards

francisco

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
regarding the one that passed... internal structure lead me to believe the rear end of the opisthosoma is definitely expansible, that is to say, without pushing it's own biological "architecture" :p. Some cotton showed me that ;)
So... I would say with some certainty that the difference in the elevation of the "butt" is due to both, age and gut content... but mostly the latter.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
C. ricketti

i picked this guy up at Repticon in Atlanta on July 10. it was sold a C. ricketti and i counted the ribs and looks like it may be. what im looking for is a care sheet for these guys. right now its in a tall 32 oz deli cup on a mix of about 75% sand 25% coco fiber. it has eaten once and is head down in a starter hole i made but has not tried to burrow at all since i got it. i think my substrate mix has too much sand in it, the spider looked to have mud caked on his legs and such. any captive care info would be profoundly appreciated.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i just got 1 aswell,very cool spider:clap:yeah that tribal on the abdomen.....amazing.

marclar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you post some pictures, these spiders are really intresting.