very confused

nolan

Arachnopeon
I am new to this hobby so my knowledge is limited. I have a Lasiodora parahybana which from the research I've done are voracious eaters problem is mine will not eat she hasn't eaten since i got her a month ago i have read she is probably molting but its been roughly five weeks and she hasn't molted and has no interest in food I know her humidity is in the right range and temperature is perfect i am not sure what to do she was very active in the pet store when i got her can anyone help

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
It will take anywhere from a week to 3 months to molt when in premoult.
Maybe it's a g.rosea,petshops can't tell a T.blondi from a a.versicolor.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantulas are designed to not eat for very long periods of time. Some of them have gone a few years (G. roseas, evil spider) without eating as long as they had water.

She'll eat & molt when she's ready :)

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To add to what has been said, sometimes a Tarantula takes a while to get comfortable in a new enclosure. Often, they won't eat until they do.

nolan

Arachnopeon
thank you i was worried maybe something was wrong and she definatly is not a rosie she is 6 inches already when I bought her i have a rosie also and they have very strange habits like being active during the day and eating like a starving dog then not eating for weeks at a time haha so i guess i'll just ride it out i did clean her cage hope that didn't affect her molt

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You refer to the spider as "her". Are you sure it's a female? If it's a mature male (presumably of a different species if it's only 6") it may not eat much.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Post a pic to be sure(I have a 6" rosie so they do exist) if it is a Rosie the not eating thing can last years, not weeks.

If it is in premolt all you can do is wait and make sure it has a full water dish.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as everyone else has said, pictures probably will help rather than speculation. at least we'll get a nice look at the size of the abdomen and/or possible MM characteristics.