VERY active Smithi

Yulian

Arachnopeon
So as some of you may know I recently got my "first" T quite recently. A juvenile(2-3in)female B.smithi (maybe not smithi anymore with the name change lol) so after getting her settled in for a day I offered a two crickets because her abdomen looked abit small and she devoured them. I waited from tuesday to friday to feed her another cricket and she also took that one, then I waited a week and fed her another cricket which she tackled and rolled with lol. So I got this species because apparently they are out alot and make good display spiders and I was prepared for the classic pet rock as everyone says but after two weeks settling in my little girl is now wrecking havoc around her tub. She will move round and round her tub and wont stay still for most of the afternoon and has been obssesing with the corner of the tub towards me and the light from the window so its not even a dark spot. She has decided to dig that corner and form a sort of dune around it and shes almost reached the bottom of the tub. So question is does anyone know why?:rofl: I really dont get it substrate is bone dry, she has a perfect hide in a dark corner and my room is pretty quiet so nothing is bothering her. Why would she dig this sort of deppresion with a dune? Or be this active? Temperatures maybe? It is in the low to mid eighties most of the afternoon so maybe warm weather equals active T? I've also seen her sticking a leg and fangs out through ventilation holes and has been climbing the sides alot IMG_3341.JPG image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

clive 82

Arachnoknight
So as some of you may know I recently got my "first" T quite recently. A juvenile(2-3in)female B.smithi (maybe not smithi anymore with the name change lol) so after getting her settled in for a day I offered a two crickets because her abdomen looked abit small and she devoured them. I waited from tuesday to friday to feed her another cricket and she also took that one, then I waited a week and fed her another cricket which she tackled and rolled with lol. So I got this species because apparently they are out alot and make good display spiders and I was prepared for the classic pet rock as everyone says but after two weeks settling in my little girl is now wrecking havoc around her tub. She will move round and round her tub and wont stay still for most of the afternoon and has been obssesing with the corner of the tub towards me and the light from the window so its not even a dark spot. She has decided to dig that corner and form a sort of dune around it and shes almost reached the bottom of the tub. So question is does anyone know why?:rofl: I really dont get it substrate is bone dry, she has a perfect hide in a dark corner and my room is pretty quiet so nothing is bothering her. Why would she dig this sort of deppresion with a dune? Or be this active? Temperatures maybe? It is in the low to mid eighties most of the afternoon so maybe warm weather equals active T? I've also seen her sticking a leg and fangs out through ventilation holes and has been climbing the sides alot View attachment 232655 View attachment 232656 View attachment 232657 View attachment 232658
I have noticed that all of my Ts are more active if the temperatures are warmer. Plus she could maybe still be settling in to her new home. My B smithi did very similar when I first got it. It would excavate the substrate around but I have had mine for around 6 months now its a lot less active, almost as if its settled in.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So as some of you may know I recently got my "first" T quite recently. A juvenile(2-3in)female B.smithi (maybe not smithi anymore with the name change lol) so after getting her settled in for a day I offered a two crickets because her abdomen looked abit small and she devoured them. I waited from tuesday to friday to feed her another cricket and she also took that one, then I waited a week and fed her another cricket which she tackled and rolled with lol. So I got this species because apparently they are out alot and make good display spiders and I was prepared for the classic pet rock as everyone says but after two weeks settling in my little girl is now wrecking havoc around her tub. She will move round and round her tub and wont stay still for most of the afternoon and has been obssesing with the corner of the tub towards me and the light from the window so its not even a dark spot. She has decided to dig that corner and form a sort of dune around it and shes almost reached the bottom of the tub. So question is does anyone know why?:rofl: I really dont get it substrate is bone dry, she has a perfect hide in a dark corner and my room is pretty quiet so nothing is bothering her. Why would she dig this sort of deppresion with a dune? Or be this active? Temperatures maybe? It is in the low to mid eighties most of the afternoon so maybe warm weather equals active T? I've also seen her sticking a leg and fangs out through ventilation holes and has been climbing the sides alot View attachment 232655 View attachment 232656 View attachment 232657 View attachment 232658
Mine normally does the classic "pet rock" thing but all the sudden in the last week or so she has gone nuts. One morning I looked in and the substrate was all dug up like she spent the night bulldozing it all over the place. It looks hideous to me because I am a bit OCD and prefer nice flat substrate but I'm not the one that has to sit on it so if she wants it to look like a mounded mess then so be it. I do need to add more water when I get home though since she made sure to create a leeching path with silk lined substrate sapping out all the water.