versicolor sling worries

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK, it's the classic 'she's not eating' thread. I've had my A. versicolor since Tuesday and it's not touched the cricket I put in it's jar. It seems happy otherwise and is fairly active, changing positions everytime I check up on it. It's got a reasonably sized abdomen too.

The only reason I'm worrying is because it's only 12mm front to back and it's TINY. I'm not sure how long spiderlings of this age can safely go without food. Any ideas? Advice?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I would ask whomever you got it from when it molted last. Large abdomen with an Avic spiderling and not eating tends to make me say molt is near. I believe my A. versicolor sling went about a week without eating before molting.

Bill

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've emailed the guy I got it off, so hopefully he'll be able to provide a little more info :)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts looking "thin". Just make sure you've got adequate ventilation. From what I understand, that is they biggest problem for that species. Not to say it is a MAJOR worry, but about the only issue I've heard.

Botar

ahkiu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lostkat, has your sling been doing anything else? like spinning some webbing around it's jar?

hope it's just getting ready to molt

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) of my 2 little chevrons , one eats like a pig but the other is quite scared of anything moving around in its home . i kill the crickets beforehand and leave them in an accesible place for the little muppet to munch on.

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I got my answer today! Went downstairs for a few hours to do some work. Came back up again to find a mint green, lanky little T sat next to his old skin :) I can stop worrying now.

I've managed to get the skin out fully intact to show how teeny it is (about 12-15mm end to end).

Thanks for the help guys :)

Attachments

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
she's probably just under 2cm now. I'm not sure because I don't like to disturb her. She's got a cricket now though which she's wandering around with in her mouth. She went from pale green to fully coloured in about 6 hours. Theses little slings don't waste any time :)