Versicolor sling fasting?

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
So i got my first arboreal (c. Versi) about three weeks ago, and it molted for the first time in my care on the 26th of april. Prior to that molt it hadn't eaten in about 5 days, and as of today it is still refusing food. Ive been offering dead mealworms with no success. Lately however, it hasn't even been hanging out in its webbing anymore. For hydration i usually leave some droplets of water on the top of its webbing, could this be the reason its staying away from it? I dont mist btw, my country is naturally pretty humid (malaysia).

Attachments

jobforacowboy

Arachnopeon
Thats strange. Or mine. My baby (molted twice) eats as often as my Stirmi baby! Ofc the Stirmi gets 3 cochroaches while the versibaby gets one. But it is quite interesting for me!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I't's hard to tell from the photo but as long as it has access to water and it's abdomen is plump I wouldn't worry. If you'd like, take a closer photo of the sling from the top and post it so we can see how it looks. The enclosure looks good.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd add a small bottle cap of water.
Avics needing high humidity is a myth. They die from moist stuffy cages.
Give it a few more days, they don't need food very often. One large meal a week is okay

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
I't's hard to tell from the photo but as long as it has access to water and it's abdomen is plump I wouldn't worry. If you'd like, take a closer photo of the sling from the top and post it so we can see how it looks. The enclosure looks good.
Thats about as good a picture as i can get. Yeah upon closer inspection its abdomen isn't looking small. Was just overthinking i guess lol

Attachments

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
I'd add a small bottle cap of water.
Avics needing high humidity is a myth. They die from moist stuffy cages.
Give it a few more days, they don't need food very often. One large meal a week is okay
Yup thats exactly what all avic keepers where i'm from have told me as well, contrary to all the research I've done. I was thinking of adding a dish too, but was worried that a dish would elevate humidity more than droplets on its webbing would? Another concern is the fact that its not hanging out in it's webbing anymore, could this be due to the moisture?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yup thats exactly what all avic keepers where i'm from have told me as well, contrary to all the research I've done. I was thinking of adding a dish too, but was worried that a dish would elevate humidity more than droplets on its webbing would? Another concern is the fact that its not hanging out in it's webbing anymore, could this be due to the moisture?
It's actually probably looking for food. Try live small crickets or smaller mealworms. A dish is practically nessasary. They still should have fresh drinking water. And I usually do about twice as many vent holes.

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
It's actually probably looking for food. Try live small crickets or smaller mealworms. A dish is practically nessasary. They still should have fresh drinking water. And I usually do about twice as many vent holes.
i've been offering it mealworms manually alive, as well as leaving them in there overnight dead. hasn't been taking any of it lately. it has taken mealworms alive manually offered by tweezers on several occasions

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i've been offering it mealworms manually alive, as well as leaving them in there overnight dead. hasn't been taking any of it lately. it has taken mealworms alive manually offered by tweezers on several occasions
how are you killing them? tarantulas find their food through ha sort of smell. if you are freezing the meal worms i wouldn't be surprised if that was the issue. try crushing their heads. and dont tong feed as it grows older, they can chip their fangs. and make sure to never leave live mealworms in.

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
how are you killing them? tarantulas find their food through ha sort of smell. if you are freezing the meal worms i wouldn't be surprised if that was the issue. try crushing their heads. and dont tong feed as it grows older, they can chip their fangs. and make sure to never leave live mealworms in.
i crush the head. it still hasn't been eating, and its now been over two weeks since its last meal. Should i be concerned? There's always a water dish thats full

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i crush the head. it still hasn't been eating, and its now been over two weeks since its last meal. Should i be concerned? There's always a water dish thats full
Looks fine. Let that substrate dry out. I actually just had this problem with my variegata. I just used smaller mealworms. She seemed to be scared of the larger ones, prekilled or not.

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
Looks fine. Let that substrate dry out. I actually just had this problem with my variegata. I just used smaller mealworms. She seemed to be scared of the larger ones, prekilled or not.
well you were right hahah. finally took the smallest mealworm i had. thanks for the tip!

cold blood

Staff member
So i got my first arboreal (c. Versi) about three weeks ago, and it molted for the first time in my care on the 26th of april. Prior to that molt it hadn't eaten in about 5 days, and as of today it is still refusing food. Ive been offering dead mealworms with no success. Lately however, it hasn't even been hanging out in its webbing anymore. For hydration i usually leave some droplets of water on the top of its webbing, could this be the reason its staying away from it? I dont mist btw, my country is naturally pretty humid (malaysia).
Yeah leaving its web it hunting...i will say small avics tend to feed better with crickets....when i feed them mealies i tong feed so i can keep it wriggling and more active.

grenville joseph

Arachnopeon
Yeah leaving its web it hunting...i will say small avics tend to feed better with crickets....when i feed them mealies i tong feed so i can keep it wriggling and more active.
i tong fed it, tried tong feeding/leaving dead crickets and mealworms, nothing worked. it never webbed too strangely. it's however eaten already, as suggested by venom1080, it seemed to be 'afraid' of bigger prey haha. took my smallest mealworm that was about 3/4 it's own size