Versicolor habitat?

mgsmid

Arachnopeon
honestly it looks like they are built to wander about. even the way they move when you hold them, its like they are looking for something. I still think bigger is better, an enclosure with options in airflow and humidity

Thekla

Arachnoprince
it annoys me that people accept sudden avic death as just common. why? pink toes are a very common successful species, maybe something is wrong with our approach to caring for them
No, they don't accept that as common, at least not here! We've learned from the mistakes of the past (something you intend to do now) and changed the way of caring for them, so, they won't die on us.
There's nothing wrong with the approach we try to communicate here on these boards, only with people who don't want to listen.

maybe if i add heat?
That would be the cherry on top of all the bad things you could do. Warm air holds even more moisture and makes it even more stuffy and humid. It's nothing but a perfect way to kill your versi.

Last edited:

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
That enclosure is an absolute mess. It is a fool’s errand trying to recreate a natural habitat in a tiny box in your bedroom.

Poor T.

mgsmid

Arachnopeon
That enclosure is an absolute mess. It is a fool’s errand trying to recreate a natural habitat in a tiny box in your bedroom.

Poor T.
Ok I'll change it I've had 4 versi in the enclosure the internet recommend. 1 died Idk why. But if the consensus is I'm wrong I'll stop. By Tuesday I'll have him in a 32 oz deli cup again

mgsmid

Arachnopeon
Please note I've had tarantulas as pets since I was 13, I'm 31 now. I care.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
it annoys me that people accept sudden avic death as just common. why?
"SADS/Sudden Avic Death Syndrome" is a misnomer for "I killed my Avic by following outdated care-sheets and keeping it in an overly wet/stuffy death trap", there's so many of these outdated care-sheets out there that they're pretty much the first thing everyone reads regarding Aviculariinae care so the vast majority of people keep them wrong, kill them, and then perpetuate the myth that they're fragile and that SADS is a thing.

maybe something is wrong with our approach to caring for them
There was, outdated care-sheets stress a need for restricted ventilation and constant spraying to keep the enclosure at something stupid like 70-85% humidity because "hurr durr, itz hoomid wer dey livv" not realising that there's much better air circulation outside than there is in a glass box, this causes them to develop fungal/bacterial infections in their book lungs (if I remember correctly) and drop dead.

I'm guessing people got sick of paying for Avics only to have them drop dead in pretty short order because they started to experiment by keeping them gradually less moist and with more ventilation and, lo & behold, the little buggers actually started to thrive. The current problem is that the few places with accurate info on how to keep them successfully get lost in a sea of outdated garbage care-sheets.

Last edited:

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
even the way they move when you hold them
Please tell me you are not holding your avic, that is a terrible idea for too many reasons, it will only stress your T. Just because they are arboreal doesn’t mean they won’t fall and go splat.

And follow the advice you’re given here, it’s been recommended as it works full stop and is the result of years of experience from many keepers. Good luck with the avic.