Versicolor Enclosure

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
image.jpeg
I used a 5 gallon tank with a sliding screen, a piece of driftwood (from Lake Erie if you were curious), and a fake plant for web anchoring. I don't have any acrylic to make a dam at the moment so I just used some rocks to hold back the substrate. I also realize the screen won't keep in any humidity so I'll have to figure out an aesthetic way to block some of that off. Suggestions?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Seems good. You could tape a piece of sheet acrylic (cut to size) over parts of the screen.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Don't overdo it though as much as they thrive in humidity, stuffy cages will kill these quick.

Is there any other ventilation or just the screen?

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Its a glass tank so only the front screen.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
To be honest, I would replace the whole screen with acrylic. Screens can be pretty dangerous for Ts and they can actually chew through some of the more flimsy ones.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Completely agree with whats been said your options are completely replace the screen by cutting it out and replacing it with acrylic make sure for plenty of ventilation holes. second option being use clear packing tape in a pattern or around the edge of the screen to keep in humidity.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
To be honest, I would replace the whole screen with acrylic. Screens can be pretty dangerous for Ts and they can actually chew through some of the more flimsy ones.
Thats what I was thinking. Now if I can find somewhere that cuts to size acrylic for me. The screen is metal though so I highly doubt my little guy could rip through it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
View attachment 217953
I used a 5 gallon tank with a sliding screen, a piece of driftwood (from Lake Erie if you were curious), and a fake plant for web anchoring. I don't have any acrylic to make a dam at the moment so I just used some rocks to hold back the substrate. I also realize the screen won't keep in any humidity so I'll have to figure out an aesthetic way to block some of that off. Suggestions?
I own a larger version of this enclosure for my ball python. The way the top is made to slide in place leaves the right side without a lip to use like you would if you were normally going to replace the screen with acrylic. I can't remember how much space you have to work with on the slide clearance but I'd look into replacing just the screen with a really thin piece of plexi glass. The frame would keep it from being too weak and you could drill it to provide the amount of ventilation you need.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Thats what I was thinking. Now if I can find somewhere that cuts to size acrylic for me. The screen is metal though so I highly doubt my little guy could rip through it.
Don't underestimate, I've never seen it personally but I've read stories and seen pics of metal screens that a T has chewed through.

As far as the acrylic, IIRC there are hardware stores that will cut you a piece of acrylic to size (I think Lowes might do it). There are also places online where you can order specific size acrylic.