Versicolor Enclosure and Feeding

Susan Crushbone

Arachnopeon
Should I keep my .5" versicolor sling in the smaller container or would it be okay to move into the larger AMAC box? I wanted something that would be easier to decorate and move around in for feeding and maintenance, but now I am worried it is too cluttered and/or large.

I've had the little blueberry for about 5 days now and it has yet to make a substantial web. It ate a cricket about it's size soon after unboxing but hasn't taken prey since. Should I be worried? I have small mealworms, a gut loaded cricket, a dubia roach and house fly pupae. Any suggestions on what these guys prefer and how soon I should offer food again?

I did a ton of research before I decided to get a tarantula (have only had experience with mantises and a grumpy G. rosea as far as inverts go), but I want to make sure I give my sling the best chance to survive.

Attachments

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Leave it in the small enclosure till its leg span equals the short side length of the enclosure. A prey item the same size as the T will fill its tank for a week at least. If its abdomen is plump then no worries try feeding again in a week.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Just leave it. And let that substrate dry out.
It might be in premolt, or the prey items might be too large.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hot glued it to the container to make feeding a little easier.
What was hard about feeding from the bottom? Just curious....

Also, you don't need that much substrate, you could keep 1/2" or less if you wanted. Filling the entire lid is a waste of sub, ie money.

Susan Crushbone

Arachnopeon
I haven't had any trouble feeding, but I wanted the option of dropping food in from the top. I am going to wait to move the versicolor until it is larger now. I enjoy crafting projects and might have gotten a little too excited about this new hobby... haha

I wanted to reduce the height of the enclosure while the sling is so tiny. The coconut fiber substrate is pretty cheap and I have a ton of it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I haven't had any trouble feeding, but I wanted the option of dropping food in from the top. I am going to wait to move the versicolor until it is larger now. I enjoy crafting projects and might have gotten a little too excited about this new hobby... haha

I wanted to reduce the height of the enclosure while the sling is so tiny. The coconut fiber substrate is pretty cheap and I have a ton of it.

I see. They will always come down to the bottom to eat, of that I know. But not always to drink unfortunately. I've commented on that for a long time.

Actually, it's an Avic, they are quite adept at being in the trees. Also, as slings, they do not suffer from fall damage not nearly as much because they are lighter in mass.

Susan Crushbone

Arachnopeon
I was more thinking it would be less disruptive to drop something from the top than to lift the enclosure from the base every time I feed the sling. It only took a few minutes to add. :)

I'm an excited newbie trying to err on the side of caution. I appreciate your advice.

I see. They will always come down to the bottom to eat, of that I know. But not always to drink unfortunately. I've commented on that for a long time.

Actually, it's an Avic, they are quite adept at being in the trees. Also, as slings, they do not suffer from fall damage not nearly as much because they are lighter in mass.

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
Should I keep my .5" versicolor sling in the smaller container or would it be okay to move into the larger AMAC box? I wanted something that would be easier to decorate and move around in for feeding and maintenance, but now I am worried it is too cluttered and/or large.

I've had the little blueberry for about 5 days now and it has yet to make a substantial web. It ate a cricket about it's size soon after unboxing but hasn't taken prey since. Should I be worried? I have small mealworms, a gut loaded cricket, a dubia roach and house fly pupae. Any suggestions on what these guys prefer and how soon I should offer food again?

I did a ton of research before I decided to get a tarantula (have only had experience with mantises and a grumpy G. rosea as far as inverts go), but I want to make sure I give my sling the best chance to survive.
Currently, I personally think the size is just fine. However in the future you may need to expand it out.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was more thinking it would be less disruptive to drop something from the top than to lift the enclosure from the base every time I feed the sling. It only took a few minutes to add. :)

I'm an excited newbie trying to err on the side of caution. I appreciate your advice.

I wouldn't worry about being disruptive too much, don't be a helicopter owner in that regard. However, what's more disruptive... Having a prey item dropped into the middle of your home/bed, or having it out on the lawn (substrate) further away? ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

Nice idea, but i think your Avic will probably web it up...which is the point really to use those boxes inverted, opening at the bottom so you don't disrupt their webbing. ;)

Susan Crushbone

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't worry about being disruptive too much, don't be a helicopter owner in that regard. However, what's more disruptive... Having a prey item dropped into the middle of your home/bed, or having it out on the lawn (substrate) further away? ;)
True. Haha I'll save that enclosure for a mantis. Thanks :)